Cleaning some flower beds?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ToughAsStihl, May 7, 2007.

1. ToughAsStihl

ToughAsStihl LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

Now that i know that my last quote was way low. I figured I would see what you guys thought. I havent seen them yet but they are around 300-400 sq ft. They arent badly over grown just some weeds. I am 15, my parents think that I need to charge less because I am younger and this person is also in our neighborhood.

How much should I quote?

Thanks guys, I dont want to lowball, but I also want to get jobs.

2. ToughAsStihl

from Vermont

So the measurements are 7'X7' and 14'x3' let me know what you think.

3. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

Can you figure how many hours you expect it will take to do the work?
    Whats involved? just weeding or also mulching and other stuff.
    Where abouts in the Northeast are you?

4. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

So a total of 91 sq ft. Ballpark figure would be around $300. But there are a lot of variables with flower beds.

5. ToughAsStihl

from Vermont

I am in VT. It is just weeding. I dont think they would go for $300. The problem is that I am not getting much work (only the second person) and I need the money. I really was hoping to get a lot of people who wanted the whole deal. Weeding flower beds and mulch. But everyone seems to want only the difficult stuff done. I also want to do mowing but I have no transportation for that.

I am sure you read about the person who would only pay $20 for a 2-3 hour yard clean-up. So you kind of have an idea of what people are like in my neck of the woods.

Grits, what are the variables?

Thanks

6. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

The variables are: what kind of plant life? mulch? pruning? how many weeds? what kind of weeds? It is hard to give you a price without actually knowing what you are going to be doing. There are different degrees of bed claen-up. You can't just say; "How much do I charge for a 90 sq ft bed clean-up?"
    There are things that may or may not need to be done. But for an average bed that I do around here with mulching, hedging, pruning, weeding...I would guess $300 for the job you are asking about. You say that they won't pay that....have you tried? So what price are you thinking?
    You have to come across as a confident landscaper that knows what he is doing and you will get more per job. Even if you are young. Don't be afraid to TELL a customer the price. You have to TELL them, you can't ask them if $XXX is OK with them. Tell them your price and leave it at that. Be confident....that is one of the secrets.

7. ToughAsStihl

from Vermont

Is $100 good for only weeding the garden nothing else?

8. ToughAsStihl

from Vermont

$50 looks like about an hours worth of work. They arent as bad as I originally thought. Thanks for the help!

9. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

A second look at the job after you question the amount that you originally wanted to charge always makes the job look easier then it really is. You are talking down your own price before the customer does.

I know how you feel, I was in th same situation a couple of years ago. I would look at the job over again when I though the customer wouldn't pay my original price. I would psych myself out to believe it was easier then it really is. Half way through the job I was cursing under myself out.

Go with your first instinct and stick with it, if you dont you will be kicking yourself half way through the job. You said yourself that they know this is the hard part and they dont want to do it, so charge them like its the hard part. If they dont want to do it then they shouldnt have a problem paying to have it done. Make it worth your while.

Figure out how long it will take you to do the job and charge at least $25 an hour. $25 an hour shouldn't be bad for a 15 year old with no overhead.

Anyone can land a job but not everyone makes a profit on these jobs. Good luck.

10. ToughAsStihl

from Vermont

That was the first time I saw the garden. It wasnt half as bad as the person said it was. I dont think it will take more then an hour or so.