Cleaning the bottoms of your Decks

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by TSG, Jul 29, 2007.

1. TSG

TSG LawnSite Senior Member

This may be a real stupid question,
    and I am sure it won't be my last.
    How are you all cleaning the bottom of your decks.
    I always use liquid film
    I have used air compressors......no go if damp
    Hoses,,,,,,so,so
    I was told not to use pressure washers because of the spindles

Any input

Thanks
    Alan

2. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Scrape the deck with a putty knife,seems a water hose would be so messy.

3. Lohse's Lawn Service

Lohse's Lawn Service LawnSite Member
    from US

When you take the blades off to sharpen/replace, a putty knife will be your best bet on cleaning underneath. I read a thread earlier about a guy who was doing the same thing to his deck and shoved his hand/arm right into the blade, causing him to hit an artery or something. So I'd clean when the blades are off. Just to be careful. Here's the thread posted by the person who was injured.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=195481

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Take a 2ft piece of pvc pipe 1/2" size and smash the end and you can use it to scrape from outlet side.....or go up onto the gate ramp with one tire and then you can scrape with the pvc.

5. Poncho25

Poncho25 LawnSite Senior Member

I pressure wash the under part of my deck and spray it good and plenty with fluid film!! That stuff is the bomb!! prevents about 80% of clump-age under the decks!

6. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

what happens to your spindles when you pressure wash the underside of the deck? i pressure wash mine. is it bad? thanks

7. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I just use a 5 in 1 paint scraper i got from Walmart. I scrape the deck at the end of each day or more often if the grass is long and wet. I only completely wash my mowers about once a month.

paint.jpg

8. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

I think the force might put some water into the bearings which is bad. But I also think if you grease regularly, the water will be forced out.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

When you pressure wash were do you do it......looks like it would make a real big mess on the ground or concrete?

10. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Just be careful not to hit directly on the spindle bearing...if you cant be careful...wrap the spindle in some tough plastic and put something around to prevent water from entering. I you are careful and only spray the deck...you will have no problems.

As far as the mess, I have a catch basin in front of my house that is a perfect place for wet stinky green globs.