1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Cleaning the Deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rwreuter, May 31, 2011.

1. rwreuter

rwreuter LawnSite Member

I have a 60" Hustler FasTrak Super Duty and the underside of the deck is just caked up. I know that this effects the cutting ability of the mower (I can see it).

So, what is the best way to clean it, or how do most of you clean the underside of your mowing deck. I don't have a ZTR lift or whatever that is called. Today, I just used a jack and got about a foot of clearance and began scraping away with a screw driver.

Is that Good, Bad or an Ugly way of doing it?

rwr

2. calvinslawnservices

calvinslawnservices LawnSite Senior Member

Puttyknife works better than a screwdriver. Other than that your set, make sure the mower is properly supported.

3. Alpha Property

Alpha Property LawnSite Senior Member

an engine hoist with a strap around the front casters, and then pressure wash the hell out of it, soak it down with fluid film, sharpen your blades and make sure uou grease the spindles to get all of the water out of them

4. WJC

WJC LawnSite Senior Member

If I need to clean my deck between or during a lawn, I pull one caster wheel up on the trailer ramp and lay down under the deck and scrape it with a 4.5" thin blade metal putty knife with the sharp corners rounded off to lessen gouging. If I'm at home, I also pressure wash it after scraping. Cleaning the deck is the chore I HATE most!

5. Agape

Agape LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, I heard recently about a guy that was killed sharpening the blades on his ZTR while still on the mower, fell off the stand and crushed him.:(

6. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Yup putty knife. OR you could just buy a gravely with the x-factor deck and never have to scrape the deck again. Dont know what it is about the gravely x-factor deck but it just does not develop any build up that needs to be scraped off. If some builds up under the deck while cutting a soaking wet lawn it all falls off when you turn the blades off. It does not stick and get worse and worse like other mowers do.

7. calvinslawnservices

Remember with power washing the deck you can get water in the spindles and ruin them, just be sure to stay away from the spindles and regrease them after power washing.

8. TuffWork

TuffWork LawnSite Senior Member

Agreed, but I still feel power washing is the way to get it REALLY clean.

9. calvinslawnservices

I power wash my deck also, I try to stay at least 4 inches away from the spindles and always do it when the spindles are cold.

10. gravelyman50

gravelyman50 LawnSite Member

Yeah right, bring your x factor over here and bog 8 inch tall wet fescue for 3 days straight and see what your deck looks like, All my mowers are gravely x factors and i had to scrap my deck twice a day last week.

If there was a mower deck that never needed to be scraped everyone would have it. I mean , i love my x factor decks, but im not gonna say that grass doesnt buildup under them.