Cleaning the mower deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TennisBum, Mar 29, 2010.

1. TennisBum

TennisBum LawnSite Member

I read a post on here some time ago where someone used some chemical to spray on their deck and the grass just fell off. I think their dealer told them about it. Does anyone remember this?

Also, has anyone tried CLEAN DECK ? Heres a link: http://cleandeck.net/

2. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Never heard of that "clean deck" stuff.

I'm going to be coating the underside of my new JD with Fluid Film. It will help prevent grass build up and will also protect the underside of the deck, so it will give me all I will need.

3. TennisBum

You're in for a rude awakening. Been there, done that.

4. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I second the fluid film....it greatly reduces the build up under the deck and whatever does eventually build up over time comes off very easily.

5. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I was hoping you'd chime in on this discussion Bill. After all you've used fluid film longer than I have (considering this will be my first mower I put it on).:waving:

6. TennisBum

Just bought a quart of the CLEAN DECK. I'll let you know the results.

7. TennisBum

My experience with Fluid Film is that it doesn't help with grass build up. It is an excellent preserver of metal - protector. I'm speaking from experience. That JD deck will go along way on it's own toward keeping the deck clean because of how smooth it is.

8. ProSeasons

ProSeasons LawnSite Member

Nobody uses 'Slip Plate' anymore? I was going to try a combination of Slip Plate and Fluid Film this season.

9. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I have tried everything...even Fluid Film. The only thing that cleans the deck is a pressure washer or a scraper blade. If someone would make Teflon durable enough that would make cleanup a snap.

10. fazzy815-66

fazzy815-66 LawnSite Senior Member

Man! I wish someone made something easy. I hate getting under there and scraping that crap! but it's part of the job. clean deck, clean cut!!:hammerhead: