1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cleaning the mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Nicktw25, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Nicktw25

Nicktw25 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Would it hurt any to take my dixie chopper to the car wash but use the self wash? I feel like my garden hose isn't doing much.

Any other ideas?
  2. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

Sure, just grease it up afterwards.

I blow off my machines at the end of each day with the blower, then I pressure wash the decks and rinse the machines off about once a week when I sharpen the blades. I use a little 1700 psi electric unit. After I'm done pressure washing, I'll blow it off with the blower, then re-grease all the fittings to push out any water that might have gotten in there. I try to keep the high pressure water away from spots I don't want water in such as the spindles, around the engine, etc.
  3. aaron79mowing

aaron79mowing LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I've been pressure washing mine for years, including the engine, spindles, etc and never had a problem. Like Macgyver said I grease them afterwards and the start them up and run the deck for a couple minutes to dry the machine back out.
  4. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

I use an electric power washer on the whole mower except on the deck. I have read somewhere that pressurized water and spindles don't jive. It may be wrong but I like to play on the safe side