cleaning tips

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by ralph1, Aug 5, 2007.

1. ralph1

ralph1 LawnSite Member

Anyone have any cleaning tips for exmark, recently had 3 cutter housings replaced, dealer said they looked like they had gotten wet, they are not cheap so don't want that to happen again. But also want to keep it looking nice.

2. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

cutter housings ?

3. Ironic

Ironic LawnSite Senior Member

Probably means spindle housings.
    if you're using a pressure washer, avoid directly hitting those. at least at the spots where they are sealed.

4. Z2000

Z2000 LawnSite Member

Ironic, do you mean to say that the deck is better left dirty than clean? I know you shouldn't get spindle bearings wet, but what do you say is the best way to clean a mower if you can't get it wet? Please let me know, as I would really like to keep my Exmark sparkly new.....

Thanks!

5. Stillwater

if you want to Keep your mower sparkly clean blow it off with your blower and wipe it down, if you pressure wash your mower on a regular basis your mower will corrode faster than if you did not. Keep your mower dry. scrape the underside of the deck to remove bulit up grass. Wash your mower at the end of the season and do not put it away until it is dry. if you wash your mower regulary it will start rusting in less than 2 years, read your manual.

6. Ironic

Ironic LawnSite Senior Member

dirt doesn't bother me. I see some of my guys washing equipment with our Hotsy, and they hit all the electrical connections, and pretty much everything they shouldn't. so I'd rather they just leave it dirty.
    you can use a pressure washer on the spindles, just don't directly hit the seal surfaces.

7. Z2000

Z2000 LawnSite Member

Thanks guys, didn't know what the best practice would be for cleaning. The manual, Eshskis, is vague at best and does not detail out the pros and cons as the group here can help with. That is why I asked.

Thanks to all for the continued support and input, love the exmark forums!

8. Z2000

Z2000 LawnSite Member

oh and just as a side note. I wash my mower weekly along with a good blow dry and then towel dry. At the end of the year, on the final wash, I buff out all scratches in the deck and body with a high speed wheel then wax all painted surfaces. It has no rust at all. The bearings lasted five years and 261 hours. But now one is wobbly and the other two are noisey. Other than a PTO switch and imminent bearing failure it has been perfect.

So now I am just little confused on washing a low time personal use machine. I bet if I washed it less, my bearings would still be quiet and kickin' !!!

9. Stillwater

my reply was vague at best are you serious? why insult me I took the time to answer your question thanks a lot. now lets not forget you are the guy that asked how to clean a mower, read the dam manual kid it clearly suggests not washing the mower. Now is that to vauge for you? you must have taken the short buss to school.

10. Z2000

Z2000 LawnSite Member

Eshskis,

Clearly YOU are the one who took the short BUSS (hahaha) to school. Not only do you need a spelling lesson, you need a reading lesson. I said that the MANUAL is vague at best, not your reply. In fact I liked your reply and found it helpful.

For some reason, you are a grumpy old man who easily gets mad when he thinks a reply is an insult when really it was NOT.

If there were less of you posting, we would have a lot more people helping each other out here, and less of your stupid posts.

I have thousands of posts in all of the major forums on mowers, and a friend of mine said this Exmark forum was the best. Sorry to say ESHSKIS makes it the worst. Nice choice of language by the way ESHSKIS, you can't even swear properly.