Cleaning under deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CNE, Mar 21, 2004.

1. CNE

CNE LawnSite Member

I saw a little yellow plastic adapter somewhere last year that screws on the end of a waterhose. It is flat on the end and it hooks under the edge of your deck. Theory is, engage the blades, turn on the water, and the blades sling the water around hard enough to clean the underside and the blades. I have done this with just the hose and it really works. Especially if it is done before too much builds up. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this and knows where I can get one.

2. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Never heard of that. Guess that's the "learn something new everyday" lesson for today.

3. club54

club54 LawnSite Member
    from alabama

WHAT I DO IS GET A PAINT SCRAPER GET IT OFF WITH THAT NEVER USE WATER ON MY EQUIPMENT

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly. Then, you're not blasting the grease out of your bearings.

5. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

My JD push mower has a place on top the deck to hook a hose up to. It worked, but you have to do it right after you cut.

6. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

Ive heard of alot of people spraying wd40 under a clean deck... then after you're done mowing, you just spray it w/ water and it supposedly comes right off. Never tried it personally though.

7. IndyPropertyCare

IndyPropertyCare LawnSite Member

Dont use chemicals that will harm the turf you are cutting ( WD40) etc. I have an all natural blend of deck saver I use that is eco friendly and helps keep your deck clean.

Yes, folks.... just 3-easy payments of 49.95 and this stuff can make life easy for cleaning your mower decks.... LOL just kidding. :p

8. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I;ve tried all the products even the ones that are made for this very reason...the only one I find that works is called "Jungle Jack and paint scraper"...

MoDeck works ok but it still gets a build up but it does make scraping job easier than if you didn't use it

9. CNE

CNE LawnSite Member

All my equipment has sealed bearings, water can't wash the grease out. Water is no worse than wet grass as far as rust is concerned. It really works good after cutting rye. Just some info for you guys, nobody twisting any arms here. I was just wondering if anybody had heard of this product. I guess I could install a fitting in the top of the deck.

10. John at JDH Select

John at JDH Select LawnSite Member
    from Indy

True, or not??? I've been told by the dealer that spraying water under the deck while the blades are engaged may stretch the belts. I imagine this is directly related to the amount of water being applied. What do you think?