Cleaning under deck

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by gps_jetskier, Aug 9, 2004.

1. gps_jetskier

gps_jetskier LawnSite Senior Member

How does everyone clean under their decks?
    I've used car ramps - not high enough.
    I've used my FE loader and a strap to pick the front end up - bad for it?
    I've heard of people pulling the deck out from under it - oh please.
    There's also a garden hose attachment to hook up to - hard on spindles?

gps_jetskier

2. jimmyj810

jimmyj810 LawnSite Member

I inquired about a deck washer on a previous question and was lead to the one offered by Hoobers. I called them and they said they would be glad to ship it to me. It required almost a 3/4 inch hole to be drilled in the deck. I did a little research and came up with parts and pieces from McMaster-Carr for $11.50. It only requires a 1/2" hole and is all brass and should not corrode. I capped it with a six sided brass pipe cap and drilled holes in three of the sides opposite each other. It takes a garden hose attachment and sprays three streams horizonally under the deck. I hook the garden hose to it and then get on the mower and crank it and engage the blades. It seems to work fairly well. There are some crevices where the blade shroud is attached to the deck that requires you to actually dig out the grass and dirt but these are not hard to get to. If anybody is interested, I will be glad to give the list of parts if anybody wants to add one to their machine. I have a 60" - Z.
    Several of the parts come two to a pack so if you have two machines you could add one to each.

3. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

and keep it simple....

business end of the Hustler Z....

Hustler bearings are sealed...however....

Tap the hole, insert a fitting, introduce H2O....???

duh?

I just run her up the trailer ramp, and scrape the stuff off....

Why complicate the procedure?

doubles.jpg

4. gps_jetskier

CUZ DUH?!! Some of us don't have trailers...and some of us want something that we do without getting dirty. I would think putting a quick attach hose gizmo on the deck would be super easy. Not sure if it's a great idea though.

gps_jetskier

5. ScCo

ScCo LawnSite Senior Member

once you get it clean, there is a product called "mud off" that we use on our dirt track cars that works pretty well in preventing buildup of clippings and dirt on the bottom side of the mower deck. It makes cleanup much easier and gives you more time in between cleanup as well.

before I started applying the mud off to the bottom of the deck, I just scraped the deck every morning when I would change blades.

6. cdolor

cdolor LawnSite Member

I'm not sure what the water worry is. I've been cleaning mine with the jet setting on my garden hose when it gets filled with grass. I did this with my old Craftsman tractor for 13 years. It had almost 1600 hours on it with the orignal deck and spindles. Only reason I quit cutting with it is the PTO clutch finally went and $450 on a tractor with that many hours didn't make since. I would hope the Hustler is build at least as good.

I can't see how it is much different than cutting wet grass. My underside is still mostly yellow and I have over 40 hours on it.

7. gps_jetskier

cdolor,
    WOW! I have 30 hours on my Hustler Z and the paint is gone for the most part. When scraping to get the grass out, the paint peels right off with the grass in one big chunk. I think this gizmo might be a good idea. Well other then drilling a 3/4" hole in my deck. Not crazy about that.

ScCo,
    mud off sounds interesting, but you change blades every day? Even when I was mowing others I never changed them daily. Of course now just mowing my own I only change them a couple times a season.

gps_jetskier

8. ScCo

ScCo LawnSite Senior Member

yes, each machine gets a freshly sharpened set of blades every morning before it goes out for usage. That also gives us time to give everything a once over and spot and potential problems before they turn into existing problems.

thanks,

ScCo

9. cdolor

cdolor LawnSite Member

I'm not using the fitting that goes through the deck. I'm just using a garden hose that has a jet (fine stream) setting. I put a concrete block down and put a 2 X 8 on it. Drive one front wheel up and it gives me access to the bottom of the deck. I hose it off. Start it up and run the blades a couple of minutes in the driveway to dry things out. The only scraper I've used was a plastic putty knife on occasion when the hose wouldn't do the job.

Chuck

10. gps_jetskier

I think I may build one of these gizmos.

www.deckwash.com

I think it may work.