1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cleaning under the deck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawncareprostx, May 20, 2008.

1. lawncareprostx

lawncareprostx LawnSite Member

What is the best thing to use to scrape under the Deck? I've been using a flat head screw driver. Need something better. Any help appreciated.
  2. FTGUprprtyMaint

FTGUprprtyMaint LawnSite Member

putty knife
  3. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

I use a small puddy knife/scraper. it works pretty good. Mostly I just hose the mowers off, but I do scrape the clean every so often
  4. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

Go to any hardware or home improvement store and buy yourself a painter's 5-in-1 scraper.
  5. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep a good scraper or small putty knife works wonders. I have used a screwdriver to get into the little nooks and crannies
  6. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Bronze Member

we pressure was ours on weekends , then oil them up with cheap vegi oil so grass dont stick , brush on oil .

and during week we scrape with the heavy duty kind of outdoor grill spatula with short wooden handle and that has an angle bent into metal between handle and fliiping part , it works way better than a paint scraper .

ive also at times when changing blades with blades off and machine tilted on its side used my weed whipper to whip off a whole bunch of the grass leaving minimal scraping .

also used a say 18" long all iron nail puller . which is like a flat clawed hammer on the end of a straight 3/4 " diameter iron bar .
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I CERTAINLY would not recommend pressure washing under the decks, as it gets soap and/or water into the seals of the bearings. One of the best things to use is a 2" putty scraper. The wider ones start having too much resistance and difficulty in the tighter areas.

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

I use a Putty Knife and blow it off with my backpack blower

Ford Ranger
    21'' mower
    Stihl Weedwacker and backpack blower
    Walk behind blower
  9. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a piece of 1/2" electrical conduit about 3-feet long. I hammered one end flat and bent it to resemble a scraper . When the mowered is raised I can reach everywhere under the deck easily.

10. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I was out cutting and had to mow hell lawn (Overgrown and wet from the day before) and I used and edger blade. When I am back home I usually use a paint scraper and a prybar.