1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Cleaning Up Leaves The Simple Way

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by ed2hess, Dec 14, 2012.

1. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

Not all southern guys mulch....

Sanders 1.jpg

SAnders 2.jpg

Sanders 3.jpg

SAnders 4.jpg

Sanders 5.jpg

2. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks to your helpful video I'm going with a Little Wonder 13hp but going self-propelled for all the hills we have. Thanks again.

3. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

I guess you guys got tougher leaves than in Indiana:rolleyes:...i predict you didn't really try really hard.
    I wouldnt say you necessarily should leave all the mulched leaves on the lawn, though i never had one i couldn't make the leaves invisible...so bag to make it perfect...

Live oak leaves are much more difficult to mulch and even those mulch up easily...

Most guys just dont lower the deck enough.:hammerhead:

4. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

Funny stuff. I'm gonna laugh every time I walk through a foot of wet/frozen leaves now.

5. TX Easymoney

No joking, you could mulch those , even after you blew them in that big pile...just spread them out and saved yourself all the hauloff....just try it and See. Reduced to a third

6. corey4671

yeah....sure...ok :laugh:

7. TX Easymoney

Don't dog it until you've tried it...i bagged, blew, raked lots of leaves when i was young...its not as tough as you think

8. Yea, that is why I said it won't happen. St aug gets cut at 4"+. I'm assuming your referring to Bermuda.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. LawnMan19

LawnMan19 LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah, man You can mulch leaves 4 feet deep in you just gotta try real hard, and spend a whole day at it. Instead of just hauling them off.:dizzy::laugh:

10. corey4671

Yeah I've done my share of that too. I like to think I've done both enough to have enough sense to know when one method is better than the other. Sometimes it just depends on what trailer I have with me at the time. Sometimes I'm out with the mowing trailer, sometimes I've got the dump trailer with me with the loader and blowers.

I think someone said it earlier, but there are some yards that by the time I blow out the beds and other tight spots, it doesn't take much time to go ahead and blow the rest of the yard off and suck them up. Like I said, I'm equipped to do EITHER. I've got Accelerator baggers for both mowers if need be. Trust me, when it comes to leaves, I've put in my time.