Cleaning Up Leaves The Simple Way

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by ed2hess, Dec 14, 2012.

1. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

:laugh:

That's cheating you used time lapse! I wish I could FF through cleanups like that.

2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Either that or LOTS of coffee!

3. sven1277

sven1277 LawnSite Senior Member

I am well versed in mulching. We mulch the majority of our lawns. My mowing trailer has a tt with a huricane mulch kit and a zk with the mulch baffle. Both work well. I also have a tt with a bagger. The mulch kits work great in september and part of october for mulching up the small amounts of leaves that fall in the beginning. At some point, the leaves get too thick to mulch and we switch over to bagging those properties instead because it is quicker.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Do you leave that kit on the TT all year?

5. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

Nice rows? Particles?::rolleyes:

6. TX Easymoney

Took me about 35 minutes for front and back. 55 to 60 buckw per hour. Had i bagge d i would have had 2 or 3 bags to haul off x 10 yards is a lotta debris....dump is 1 hour drive away in traffic @ 35 min charge...not cost effective plus depleating the soil by bagging which also removes dirt and organic material.
    32inch scag with only a mulch plate, no baffles...

7. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't believe people pay for that small of a cleanup. Couple bags for the garbage man is all that's there.

8. TX Easymoney

This was an e example of what a mulcher can do on asphalt....not an example whatsoever of a job that was completed ...2 passes of the lawnmower

9. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

If that little bit took 30-35 minutes those large leaf jobs in the pics, especially when theyre wet and/or frozen, it would take you days to do. Not cost effective.

10. TX Easymoney

Its part of a contracted service.....weekly service during growing season and leaf cleanups inwinter..here folks would rather pay 35 bucks rather than spending 2 hours to clean up the leaves....

2 to 3 bags of ground up oak leaves....4 or 5 if raked up...plus the law n gets the straglies cut and edging

Most folks here would spend at least 2 hours doing this...plus their mower would clog up and kill the engine most of the time when the bag gets full...they would have to restart the mower many times and have to work real hard to get all the leaves into the paper bags mandatory for haul off