1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

cleaning up spark arrester screen

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bare spot, Nov 5, 2011.

1. bare spot

bare spot LawnSite Bronze Member

just popped out the screen on hedge trimmers and it's covered with carbon (looks like a soft tar and seeing this got me wondering if have other issues, mix is off). anyway, make is a tanaka, gets used plenty, nice piece and plan to get it clean it up tonite, gotta get some work in for now while the weather looking good so for now just wanted to ask if or what would work good to get, this carbon, soft tar build up to dissolve somewhat. is there a solution to soak it in, like degreaser, alcohol that might have laying around etc. don't have think i have any de-carbonizer product on hand so for now could get it to a point that can use a wire brush on it. thanks will check back later.
  2. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Support with a piece of wire or a pair of pliers then heat with a propane torch to orange color, let cool and brush off.
  3. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Bronze Member

Also, let it run awhile before you put the screen back. The muffler will have residual oil that will just accumulate on the screen again. And check the a/f(s). You will have more blow back due to the screen clogged, over time. I wouldn't worry to much about it. It's not that uncommon with hedgetrimmers. More of a operational issue than a mechanical one.
  4. 2stroked

2stroked LawnSite Senior Member

Just take the spark arrestor out. It won't cause any problems and it'll be a lot easier.
  5. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

For some reason I always have the misfortune of dropping my screens and stepping on them after they clog up.
  6. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

Screens are required in California . Everyone I know takes them off improves performance.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. bare spot

dutch and ricky, sounds good, thank you. got bout an hr into a job the other day and the trimmers started acting up, have also notice really hard compression on starting up last couple times they been used (should of checked sooner) but thinking should see a smoother start with the screen all cleaned up. btw here's the screen, had it sitting next to me, good sized screen, torch it up tom. thanks

8. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

If you dpn't notice a significant change in the running condition after cleaning up the arrestor(or leaving it out) you may want to pull the muffler and check the exhaust port as well. If you do pull the muffler, I'd suggest heating up the muffler with a torch, let it cool then tap it good with a screwdriver to loosen built up carbon then blow out with air. As Ricky says, run it without the screen a bit before replacing the screen.
  9. bare spot

used the torch and got it all cleaned up and now it's running great (these are nice trimmers, like them), starts right up also with ease as well, what a difference. took advice and did run it for a while before i got the screen back, thanks all