cleaning valves on a walk behind mower

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Larson Lawn Care, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Larson Lawn Care

Larson Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I was in the shop today and they told me I need to have the valves cleaned, shop time would be an hour for them to do it. Is this something I can do myself, I've never even heard of doing it. The mower is only a year old. Today it wouldn't start and I would get a backfire. Then eventually it started, I mowed a lawn with it and at the next lawn, backfire, it would turn but when I'd let go of the key, it would backfire. I brought it to the shop for that reason, and what do ya know, it started just fine so they couldn't do anything unless it was not starting there. Any thoughts on either of these issues?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

3. Larson Lawn Care

Oh hey thanks there little buddy.

4. Larson Lawn Care

I have a 61" ferris walk behind comfort control dd. It is a 2009 model, it has a 25 hp kawasaki engine on it, it has dual hydro. How do i clean the valves?

5. Restrorob

Who ever you took it to is feeding you a line of BS..... I've NEVER seen a engine need valves cleaned at a year old.

The above sounds like a intermittent issue with the safety switch system (Interlok System) killing ignition spark in the start position, That's where they need to be looking/checking not the valves.....

6. Larson Lawn Care

I guess they weren't referring to the problem I brought it there for but they said it was making a ticking noise or something like that.

7. Restrorob

A ticking noise will be rockers/valves in need of adjustment, Have you got over 300 hrs on it yet ?

Regardless, If it's making noise they should be checked/adjusted;

[​IMG]

BTW, You see how nicely this is going with more info !!!

8. Larson Lawn Care

It's around 200 hrs. What do you mean by the interlok system? For the valves, where can I buy a thickness gauge to adjust them? Do I need to clean anything in/around the valves?

9. mowerknower

mowerknower LawnSite Senior Member

Something does not add up here. 200 hours, 09 model. Should be under warranty unless they really mean it just needs adjusted. I normally don't think its right to take it to one dealer and then take it to another for a second opinion but this just sound a little wierd. There has to be some miscommunication about this or something. I think you need to go back to the dearer and ask them exactly what it needs and why.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

An engine flush ought to take care of it, but I also find this odd unless you've
    let your oil go too long between changes... By this I mean you had to have run
    it black, at least once.