?? Cleaning Weeds from pond after Herbicide

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Ric, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

??What is the best way to remove the dead weeds from a pond??

I recently lost a large pond herbicide bid to a higher price because the company also removed the weeds two weeks after they sprayed the pond.

So My Question is.

When you first treat a pond, What is the best way to remove dead weeds from a pond?? I fear using a Bush Blade on a weed eater because when the bush blade hits the water it sometimes fly out of control. I don't plan on doing the actual work myself, I would hire day labor and want to be sure they are safe.

2. MHODGES

MHODGES LawnSite Member

if you are talking about cattails grasses and other weeds that are really sticking out of the water, the best thing I have found is an articulating hedge clipper attachment on the end of a weedeater I use a sthil. One good thing about it is it just lays over the vegetation so it is easy to pick up and haul off.

Mike

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Mike

Can the Articulating Hedge Trimmer be used under water without damaging the Trimmer?? I am sure it would work for at least a short time.

I am not sure I want the pond spraying business bad enough to get into weed removal. I am semi Retired and working only as a one man operation. To do pond clean out would mean hiring or subcontracting. My ventures in Part time employees and subcontracting have not always worked well in other areas.

4. MHODGES

MHODGES LawnSite Member

Ric,
    I have not had any problems with mine and I usually trim the cattails just below the water surface the trick that I do is keep the trimmers liberaly greased before and after use.

as far as aquatic weed control goes it can be pretty profitable especally if you don't have to remove the weeds like dealing with duckweed, pondweed, algae and other plants that just sink to the bottom of the pond when killed.

cattail and other emersed plant control and removal can be pretty labor entinsive (sp) It really is not fun to try and swing that weedeater while standing on the bow of a little john boat.

I hope this helps and good luck with this venture.

mike

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Mike

Yes aquatics can be profitable if all you have to do is spray. But New accounts always seem to have 6 ft of growth and want instant gratification.

Thanks for the information.