1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Cleaning your backpack and spot sprayers

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by wildstarblazer, Feb 2, 2013.

1. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

Do you clean your sprayers inside and out after each day of use? I can't see how this is practical all the time. What's your cleaning program and how do you collect rinsate??

2. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

You should clean every day pesticides settle on the bottom very quickly.
    Creating all types of problems . Far as cleaning you can use lots of products that are safe for the invorment :waving:

3. Cadzilla

Cadzilla LawnSite Senior Member

Once a year I do when I put them away for winter. I have dedicated backpacks for weed control and roundup.

I don't know what you guys are spraying that would require daily cleaning and the manufacturer recommendations are way over kill.

Rinsate? lol

4. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Don't know about your state, but mine does not encourage collection/storage of tank rinsates. The law is to spray out tank washings out onto a labeled site for the product in question. If it is a lawn herbicide, it should be sprayed out onto a lawn. If it is a non selective, then a non crop/uncultivated area. Centralized mixing/loading/disposal sites easily become sources of contamination.

5. turfmd101

turfmd101 LawnSite Bronze Member

Drop in some Lescosol nutralizer & spray out in a open bed area or of like.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. LawnsharkMB

LawnsharkMB LawnSite Senior Member

Triple rinse if you are going to use a different herbicide or triple rinse if you are not gonna be spraying anymore out of that particular sprayer. I usually just fill the sprayer up, shake it around, pour it out. Do this twice. Then put a gallon in and spray this out to get everything out of the hose. If you leave pesticides in the sprayer without triple rinsing it corrodes something in the hose. Didn't take but a couple ruined stihl backpack sprayers for us to start doing this. So yes, it's very practical.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

agitation.....

Exactly :clapping:

8. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

9. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

10. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

I have used this and seem to like the product so far.