Cleaning your backpack and spot sprayers

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by wildstarblazer, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Cadzilla

Cadzilla LawnSite Senior Member

2. GALAWN

GALAWN LawnSite Member

Seriously? If it takes a certain amount to kill weeds and you empty out a backpack and the absolute most amount of a product including round up if 10% of the amount called for is what are you worried about? The left over residue is way too weak to do anything.

3. Will P.C.

Will P.C. LawnSite Senior Member

I keep a few rubber grommets on hand just to be safe.

4. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

5. Cadzilla

6. Cadzilla

I check mine now and then and lube them up with some fluid film. Also makes it easier to break the seal when they are pressurized and doesn't degrade the rubber as far as I can tell. I've replaced a few over time.

7. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

This was my concern. I figure most wash their tanks at a shop or home, it would start to build up and was wondering if anyone used a type of containment system for that purpose.

I know it may seem overkill but I have not done things properly in the past and until I got my license I have been paying more attention to details. I'm no newbie, and probably been spraying round up before many of you were even born. :laugh: Just never stop learning, ya know...

8. Cadzilla

And thats the way it should be. Nothing wrong with following the rules and treating this all with respect. Another tip for you new guys and especially guys that don't use a lot of product is to not over fill. Only load what you need so you don't end up with a bunch of extra.

But remember where you are and whats going on and what you plan to do, and empty the tank on a lawn or the property you loaded it for...if after that you don't plan on using the sprayer for a week or so.

Plus...This is Important. You guys should not be loading flowables, wettable powders, powders of any kind, suspensions or emulsifiable(sp) concentrates in your sprayers or you are asking for trouble.

Liquids only please.

I think the reason why some of you keep blowing out sprayers is because your trying to spray product through there that really has no business being in the sprayer, let alone sitting for ANY length of time.

I never clean my sprayers other than when winterizing because they are dedicated and I only spray liquids.....and there is nothing to gunk up or clog or corrode.

9. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

I have never had a problem mixing and washing out on site. If anything, transport of mixed solutions on the road is not encouraged either. Ground termite treatment is a big thing in my state. The PCO's do not roll around town with 100 or 200 gallon loads on their trucks. They fill and use up solutions on site.

10. turfmd101

turfmd101 LawnSite Bronze Member

It gives security. You feel it worked.
    Posted via Mobile Device