Cleaning?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jerry and Sons, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Jerry and Sons

Jerry and Sons LawnSite Member
    from Pa

This is my first season not driving the truck or mowing equipment, just want to pick your brains. It seems that no matter what I do I can not keep the trucks cleaned inside and out. Do you guys offer incentives, discipline or what. My only problem is that Due to a broken femur and hip I truely need my crew and want to keep them happy. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, what about equipment and trailer cleaning and maintenance?:hammerhead:

2. Fordsuvparts

Fordsuvparts LawnSite Senior Member

If you find out how others do it please pass it along. There's not a day that I don't fill up a trash bag out of the floor of the trucks and out of the skid loader. My landscape crews seem to be the worst at keep trucks clean, followed closely by the mowing crew. Then there comes my Brother who appears to like to roll in the filth in his truck. We started a new monday morning truck washing rule, the foreman on each crew is to have his trucks and equipment washed before the leave the shop, i don't care who does the washing but someone will or else. I hope that this will cause them to have a little more pride in there work. The cleanest truck out of the fleet is my dump truck, the driver cleans it out everyday or so.

3. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Every morning the trucks get cleaned out: garbage picked up, windows washed as needed, seats and floors swept with wisk broom. The trailer is organized and any refuse removed from it as well. We tried doing this after work, but everyone, including myself were just to tired. Its second nature at this point and frankly the guys really enjoy having a clean truck.

As per the equipment, every Friday, we take care of maintnence: blades changed, air filters blown out/changed, machines greased, hand tools sharpened, oil changes as needed, etc..

4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I clean my truck in the offseason.

I'll clear it out when there's too much junk in it to operate efficiently.

Bottles and such can be thrown out when you're filling the truck with fuel.

If you're so inclined, they can be vacummed on a rain day, same with cleaning windows.

As far as the trailer, it's always work in progress, but usually once every other month it'll get a good sweeping.

5. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

I clean the outside of my trucks on Sunday and Wednesday and the garbage gets cleaned out daily. At first it was ridiculous my employees left sooo much trash I about went insane. I love my trucks and after annoying them to keep them clean there is not a problem anymore.

6. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

I hate trash being left in the cab of the truck! That has to be cleaned out at the end of the day. The bed of my truck usually catches the trash and sticks that get picked up at the sights. It gets cleaned out when there is time. I am thinking that from now on I want trucks with vinyl interiors (seats and floors). Grass is a pain to keep swept out of a carpeted truck!

7. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm with you with the vinyl interiors carpet really sucks when its been raining.