1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cleanup after using hedge trimmers?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by North Ga, Apr 6, 2006.

1. North Ga

North Ga LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Whats yalls technique for cleanup after a 4-5 hour hedge trimming job?

We just take a rake and rake up the clippings in a plactic garbage can.Theres got to be a faster way.Any suggestions?
  2. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

If its on turf thats about it, on rock or mulch we lay down burlaps and have one guy laying and picking up burlaps, one guy with the pruners on a stick. The timing works great. just grab the 4-corners and dump it then leap frog ahead and lay it down again. On top of most plants/ground covers no problem.
  3. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Most recently hired employee with rake. That's about it!
  4. firelwn

firelwn LawnSite Member

Rake tarp and energetic Kid
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

yeah use a tarp instead of a trashcan, get a dernier or cordura one.
    the backpack blower can help but only sometimes.

do like one guy was bragging here last year, and double and triple-cut the clippings before they fall to the ground so they disappear on their own (but I never figured this out, and yes I tried lol).
  6. WalkerMike98

WalkerMike98 LawnSite Member

Blower and a Walker. The fastest way

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Carefully rake up the bulk so as not to disturb the mulch or stones, then carefully use a blower to clean up the little stuff.
  8. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

if it is on grass we I use mowers with double high lifts and the bagger.....I have to run over it a few times but it works pretty well. If it is in a mulched area I use rakes and blowers which raises the price a bit....

9. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I mulch them with a mower and blow whats left under the shrubs
  10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Cleanup strategy depends upon the bush and what is underneath for a surface. For yew bushes, I always use tarps. Most of the time, the bushes are over bark mulch. The trimmings are far too difficult to get out of the mulch. Likewise if the bushes are in the midst of a ground cover -- never able to get the clippings out of the ground cover. To be sure, handling the tarps takes time, but trying to get the clippings out of the mulch takes time too. And, when many of the clippings still remain, the job looks terrible.

However, burning bush clippings, Canadian hemlocks, bayberry, over a hardened surface of mulch -- rakes and blower works fine.

I never drag the clippings to the turf and mulch down and leave, or leave clippings under the bushes. I know I see some homeowners take little care in cleanup and the resulting look is terrible. To hire somebody to do the job, and then to leave a mess demonstrates lack of pride and no interest quality of result.