1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

cleanup debris

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by earthandturf, Feb 4, 2001.

1. earthandturf

earthandturf LawnSite Member

With spring approaching it will be time to do some spring cleanups. What do you all do with the leaves, branches and other debris? This is my 1st year. Also what's the best way to charge for this.
  2. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

Finding a place for the debris due to spring clean ups pretty much depends on yourself, and what resources you have near you. I have three different dump sites, one is a farmers land, the next is actually one of my customers land(he gets a discount of course) and last (but rarely used) is my own personal compost pile. Then there is always the option of taking it to the county landfill, but this can start to run up a bill, but just apply it to each of your customers that need removal and you'll be fine.
  3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

We charge a minimum of a $100.00 for a spring clean-up.
    Decide how much per hour you want to make, then go from there.

We are fortunate that we have a place to dump our branches
    and leaves which is only a few minutes from our home.

If you are unable to find an authorized dumping site in your area, you will most likely be forced to dump at your local landfill. If you must pay to dump, then you must incorporate that into the customers price.

4. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

For this task I'm lucky because the 3 towns I mow in all have a leaf,grass,limb site to dump the stuff off. There is no charge either. I charge $35.00 per trailer load. If I had to pay, then I would charge the $35.00 + the dump fees. You could ask your customers if they know if the town has a site like this.
    Good Luck,
  5. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

We used to have a free dumping site available to us but in the last three years its been closed down. I use a site now that is actually a vacant lot that is owned by friends of the family. They allowed us to put up chainlink fencing there and now thats where we dump. Every 3rd/4th day we stop by with the skidsteer and turn the piles. Once they have broken down completely we mix whats left with soils we blend together and use the material for planting beds and as soil ammendments when landscaping. We charge a small fee for the product and it basically covers the T&M we have put in to it.

Some of our clients also have composting bins (or we suggest building one for them) and we deposit lawn and shrub clippings there as needed.

Hope this helps.
  6. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

We usualy charge a min of $85 th first hour and $65 and hour after that. As for sticks and debries we cut up sticks and put into a 4x4 pile and bag up all other debries and put on the curb for the trash desposal trucks to pickup. The catch to all that is that service may be stopping next year, so that means Ill have to purchace a dump trailer and have to make trips to the dump.And that means the big DUMP FEE will be required .
  7. earthandturf

earthandturf LawnSite Member

Thanks, I appreciate everyones input. This gives me some options, perhaps I could match them to the customers' situation. Many of my customers live on 1/2 acre lots or less. I can talk to some of the farmers around here to see if I could use their land when I clean up larger properties.I'm really glad I found this site,everyone has been a big help in making my fledgling business get off on the right foot.
  8. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I have in fact heard of some contractors giving away their clippings to farmers. In our area it has been years since clippings were allowed in the local landfill, so LCO have been charging customers for disposal and giving away the clippings for profits. We do not, just might since you got me thinking.

Thanks E&T.
  9. moonarrow

moonarrow LawnSite Member

a lot of people around here just pile it up on the curb, I don't do this I think it is very unprofessional, I believe that when you leave a customers yard it should be picture perfect, not a bunch of bags and piles of limbs pile up out front, I'm lucky I have a friend that has a low spot in his pasture that he is trying to fill in and allows me to dump there. regular clean up I don't charge extra for but I do charge extra for spring and fall clean ups and for other clean ups like after ice storms I charge $35 per trailer load plus labor
  10. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

We have a farmer near-by who we are going to approach this year. My dad is also designing a compost machine for grass leaves and the sort that will turn it into dirt. Hopefully that goes well. Plus I have 4 acres that I can put a pile in the back of...