cleanup insurence?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jun 16, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

how is this idea..i have quite a few clients in a rough area. it's rough because it can get very messy. oak trees and sycamore everywhere, they constantly drop some debris, and we charge weekly for cleaning up (unlike some overgrown forest gump type people i know). anyhow, if we have a huricane, or high winds/thunderstorms, these properties get very messed up. debris everywhere. it has only been excessive , over the last 4 yrs, maybe 3 times. this is where they were charged a high amount for a cleanup. now, i was thinking, can i, instead of when/if it happens, charge them for a cleanup, can i just incorporate a "cleanup insurence" fee, into thier annual maint fee? this would cover them, just in case, and if not, i make free money, just like insurence companies do. and if it happens more than once, i add a surcharge, for the next 3 yrs, just like insurence companies do. what do u think?

2. Hollis Maintenance

Hollis Maintenance LawnSite Member

Just charge when it happens. You have not had any problems that way have you?

3. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree! Don't get greedy. Yes, Sept of 3003, we had a helluva hurricane come thru the area. We had a lot of debris to clean-up from curblines, lawns and beds. We charged all clients at our clean-up rate. Of the 180 or so clients we had then, I lost only 2 accounts for this fee. They paid their bill "under dispute". I told them to read their contract - its in b&w. Filled their slotts w/ 2 better f/s accounts the next spring.

Overgrown?? 6'2" 215 is a normal size unlike a mullet-headed troll I know.

4. bobbygedd

from NJ

tell the truth, you did it for free. it was somehow worked into the weekly mowing price ;)

5. Turfdude

No Knucklehead - now pay attention son.... I'll type slowly for U so you can read this (or does someone else read the replies to u??). Our weekly fee will account for the 1 week of crap in the srping that drops from oaks as well as the 1 week that maples and or ash trees drop they're debris. Leaf removal and/or any clean-up is conducted at an hourly fee. BTW until your recent thread on how u fleece clients on dump fess (yeah sure u do), you thought hourly was for people who don't know how to quote a job. You seeBG, the big boys know how to quote pruning, mulchiung, etc. Fall leaf removal is quoted by most hourly for several reasons. First off, different trees drop at different times and rates and will vary from season to season. Secondly, dry leaves move more quickly than wet ones. Thirdly, if its not windy you get done faster than fighting the wind. But then again we know nothing and our way is wrong.

6. bobbygedd

from NJ

oh, well thank you for the useless information. again, i ask you (you didn't answer last time). if one customer requests GRASS CUTTING ONLY, and her property is surrounded by trees, and another, down the street, with the same size property requests GRASS CUTTING ONLY, but has no trees, will the prices for thier request of GRASS CUTTING ONLY be the same, or different? face facts gump, you are giving it away. you are afraid to charge for it. your "minimum " cut fee, of $32....you failed to mention, you have 4 ******** jumping out of the truck on these properties, making the net= $3.50

7. Turfdude

Sorry BG - 2 men crews or occasionally 3 man crews. I would like to debate this further and have a battle of the wits, but see that you're unarmed.

Bobbygedd is another way of saying feckless!

8. bobbygedd

from NJ

you still havn't answered my question. lowballer.

9. bobbygedd

from NJ

in another thread, mr gump, you stated that to charge for "tumbleweed " cleanup, and "helicopter" cleanup, was nickle and diming the customer. now, you state that it IS CHARGED . please, pick your story, and stick to it.

10. bobbygedd

from NJ

originally quoted by turfdude:I guess he charges extra for the "tumbleweeds" that fall from the oaks in early spring as well as the "helicopters" from maples and ash trees. Give me a break.