Cleanup: Straw in new lawn

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by NNJLandman, Dec 26, 2006.

1. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an account that I'm doing a cleanup construction, theres a lot of leaves on the problem, but there is tons of hay/straw matted down in the lawn...from the rain and weather...the only way to get the straw up in by hand raking it, which is very time consuming since the property is huge...the blowers just wont get it up. Any ideas?

2. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Price it per hour and bring lots of help:laugh:
  3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Price it per hour and bring lots of help:laugh: Then give them an estimate for over-seeding again. Our Little Wonder blower was able to remove nasty decaying leaves from the ground by adjusting the flow baffle almost to where it points straight down. That becomes very time consuming, so the only other thing would be raking, or if you had a rider get the JRCO dethatcher attatchment.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

when was it seeded? did the seed come up?
    have any pics?
    sounds like the customer got the shaft on this one u r gonna have to reseed is my thought without seeing what kind of mess it is
  5. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Do you have access to a straw blower, no I aint being sarcastic. I have used my strawblower to blow leaves in a pile for removal. It will even blow mudcrusted leaves from out of the ditches. In fact, with the right attachment, my straw blower will suck up the leaves and blow them into the back of a tarp covered truckbed. Anyways, just a suggestion.
  6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

You can use the detacher with a walk behind to. Heres where your investment savvy comes in, try and price it in the heavy labor time and do it allot faster with the jrco and a bagger. this tool is great also for getting leaves out of taller grass and for scratching soil so you can seed faster(softer ground is better).
  7. backtobasicslawncare

backtobasicslawncare LawnSite Member
    from TN

i use to cleanup yard i use blower i blow them in a large pile once done i use mower and agrifab vaccum with a hose that sucks them in and its compacted once its down there no suction to the vaccum lets u now its done to be dump i hope that helps anybody.
  8. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

jrco tine rake + Billy Goat Force = $$ in the bank and no sweat off your back.
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

This is the ultimate use for the JRCO rakes. This is truly where they shine. I can't think of anything faster than the JRCO and a bagger or blower.

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Why are you trying to remove the straw? It's one of the most common mistakes made. Even if you have to reseed, you can slice right over it. It provides nutrients for the soil, moisture and erosion control.