Cleanups in the northeast sucks right now!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by meathead1134, Dec 5, 2007.

1. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

With the leaves not coming down until after Thanksgiving and then all of a sudden an ice storm and the ground is still frozen my cleanups have pretty much stopped right now. I was in the middle of a big job and haven't been back since the weekend. Is there anybody else running into this problem? I got a call for an estimate last night. He wanted me to come out and give him an estimate and I told him that the leaves are frozen to the ground with ice. The customer stated that I don't expect you to come by until the ground hopefully thaws out.

Cleanups for me have been not very good at all this year. I have given alot of estimates but everybody is stating that this year it tight. I even had 1 customer tell me that I have done a great job in years past I was fast but they wanted to see that if they could get somebody cheaper.

2. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm having a hard time too, Ken but we were a little luckier with the weather. We are still working, but it has been very cold and windy the last two days. So it has been a slow go. Surprisingly, people have been understanding, but we will see what the next two weeks brings. On a good note, I checked the 10 day forecast, this weekend and next week looks warmer, so things might get better for you.
    As far as people tightening up, I've definitely noticed that, this season was down sales wise from the last 6-7 years. But if someone wants to rake their own leaves, that is fine with me, I will be scrambling to finish this year.
    Good luck and hang in there, December is always a tough month!:waving:

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Meat

I have some telling me the same thing. ive been out of this type work for the past two seasons and i'm glad i did. work does get in the way of a good cruise.

Things will thaw out this weekend.:waving:

I didnt forget about the Atlantis pics, there coming in very soon. the people getting them for me have them on a disk so they need to be home to retrieve them.

John

4. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I agree on the fall clean-ups this year. Leaves fell real late. It's either windy or wet. Now we have the cold. 18 degrees this morning. Looks a little better next week.

I move on to the next customer as long as the lawn is not covered in leaves and the beds are somewhat clean. I'm not being picky this year. Most people understand.

5. John Gamba

from ct

40's to 50's for about 6 days next week:cool2::cool2::cool2:

6. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

Well up here in Lakes region of N.H. we got dumped about a foot of snow, so what cleanups were left will not get done:dizzy:wait till spring cleanups I quess. That will suck though!!!

7. Brad Ent

Brad Ent LawnSite Member

Last Saturday was a disaster for us, get everything into a pile or windrow and a big gust of wind blows it all back into the yard, not to mention stuff was frozen or heavy and wet.
    We've got one more big job to complete it may have to wait til Spring.
    Everything is iced up down here.

By the way, does your ABS work when your truck starts sliding backwards down the driveway??

8. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks gamba:drinkup::drinkup:

9. DixieFerris

DixieFerris LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry to hear that man, I felt a little bit of that during the last couple days, having to really point the old BP blowers very close to the ground in order to get things to come off, but we did every customer at least twice, about half 3 times, and about 20-25 POA's 4 times! Last time thru we got really picky, but ever since we changed a couple years ago to doing a full cleanup every time starting in late October it has helped me and added a bit of revenue

10. John Gamba

from ct

What helped me get stuck stuff up was the Tyne detacher on the front of a mower.