1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cleanups in the Rain?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by crew, Nov 6, 2000.

1. crew

crew LawnSite Member

It's been raining here alot and I find myself wishing I could do some cleanups in the rain. Is it possible? What are some effective techniques you have used? Any ideas most appreciated.
  2. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I feel your pain crew. Im across the river from you and its been nothing short of a migraine with all this rain. I have been doing gutter jobs in the rain and trimming back shrubs and hedges. I dont know of any techniques short of erecting a circus type tent to keep the leaves dry.

It looks like a wash out until Thursday.

Catch a movie!
  3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

The answer is to send the rain down to NC.
    Hurting down here.
  4. Nathan

Nathan LawnSite Member

You have got to be kidding. Over here in washington we work in the rain constantly. I can recall working for over 30 consecutive rainy days one year, no joking. What exactly is the kind of info you are looking for, I am sure that I have at least a few methods to help you out.
  5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

We haven't had rain in over a month. Sucking leaves up with the mower is about the dustiest job you could have. Send some rain my way!
  6. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Same here, bob. I took to wearing a dust mask today, heck there were times I couldnt see the front of the mower. On the plus side, its so dry everything grinds to powder, I have yet to make a trip to the leaf drop-off.
  7. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

All of the leaves have fallen here and it has rained every weekday for awhile now. The leaves when saturated become "wet newspaper like" and present alot of trouble to vac or mulch. Throw in the stress of snow in the forecast, and you can imagine all the customers calls wanting their lawn done first.

One could rake the leaves in the rain, that woud take alot of time and be a nightmare bagging or tarping wet leaves.

Any suggestions?
  8. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

You would know it. November has brought the rain in as usual here. Right when I need to be picking up leaves. BUt i dont try and do the leaf business in the rain or when its too wet. I know it will dry up soon. I have tried to do it when it is wet and it just added too much time to the job. Blowing wet leaves and wet drives extends the job time. Bagging wet leaves clog up the system too many times. Now i do work when the lower level of leaves are still soggy. Because yards never completly dry out after it rains
  9. powerreel

powerreel Banned

Don't move to Seattle, it rains everyday here but 2 weeks out of the year!
  10. crew

crew LawnSite Member

Nathan, I want to know how you pick up leaves when they are drenched without the problems noted in other posts in this thread. I really miss those dusty days of yore - me, my z and a cloud of pulverized leaves in my wake - smells like victory!