Cleanups with a Walker

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnkid, Nov 3, 2005.

1. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

This is my first year using a Walker on all of my cleanups and I have to say I'm actually not as impressed as I thought I'd be. I demoed one last year and it worked real well but it saeems different this year. The unit I have has the 20hp Kohler and it seems like the mower doesn;t have any suction power. The one I used int he fall had the 26hp EFI and I know that one is mouch more powerful but does it have more suction? It does great just cutting grass and wet grass too but when the lawn is covered in leaves, it has problems getting them all and most of the time I end up running over the lawns twice. And this is after I have fluffed the matted down leaves to the top with the blowers. I also keep my blades sharp and the decks cleaned out so I don;t know. Is anyone else having the same results or am I the only one? Thanks

2. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

what kind of blades are you using. The gator blades shred the leaves better, but I have noticed that the high lift blades have a lot better suction. So now I usually run over the leaves once or twice with my ferris, then suck them up with the walker with the high lift blades on. The high lifts don't mulch very much therefore fills the hopper up very quickly. By going over it first with the ferris, I only have to empty the hopper about 4 to 1 as to not going over them first.

I have the 26 efi though, and never ran a diffierent walker and have never had a problem. HOpe this helps

3. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

plug deck and mulch them first when thick. then set front of deck on 6 and back on 4. by mulching first you can get more on trailer, too.

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Is your Walker new or used? If it is used, you may have a worn impeller in the blower. Your Walker should be picking everything up on the first pass, unless it is wet and matted down, or unless you are going too fast.

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

This is what I do when the leaves are super thick.

For getting those wet leaves (and after I have already gone over the lawn once), I put on the dethatcher with spring tines, this will pick up the wet leaves, other small particles and fluffs up the grass. Man, it looks good when I am finished.

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We got some blades from Walker with holes so you can put in .180 plastic cord. We use the blades when we are stripping yards for fall rye planting. Maybe you could use those on wet leaves??

7. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

i use the dethatcher for pine needles too.

8. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 01 20 hp 48" GHS. I bought a set of Meg-mos. 100% better

once over. If heavy raise mower height, then lower deck for clean up.

Also Meg-mos don't pick up twigs like std blades. I have OEMs med lift,

Lesco hi-lifts, and Meg-mos. I carry a brush to clean box screen. For grass

I change the box screen to 3/4".

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Negative deck rake?

10. weedwoop

weedwoop LawnSite Member

Yep, just read thet in the owner's manual. Keeps the deck from bull dozing leaves.