Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Azrael, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Azrael

Azrael LawnSite Member

I am looking to start a LCO next spring and have been working on what all services to offer. Thinking Spring/Fall cleanups, mulching, and mowing to start. My ?? is, what do you guys actually DO for cleanups. If it is cleaning up leaves wouldn't you already do this if you have a bagger with a regular mower? Wouldn't you already be picking up sticks so as not to run over them? What am I missing here? I understand charging extra if you have to pay to dispose of clippings, but this is not an issue for me as the town has a free LARGE composting area.

All help is greatly appreciated for this newbie.:)
  2. CoreyD

CoreyD LawnSite Member

you meen.... u have a free place to dump leaves that you pick up?.... i use my 44 " Old school Riding lawn mower to pick up leaves back in the fall.... and the first house i did was a 1 acre yard and thick leaves.... i charged him $250 and then $150 for the next two weeks that i came back and i had to haul the leaves off in about 3 or 4 trailer loads to the dump
  3. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

We just blow them into a pile and burn off if we have to take leaves because cutomer request it then their going to pay alot more and I mean alot.
  4. Azrael

Azrael LawnSite Member
    Posts: 31 sticks, leaves, clippings... granted, this is a small town of only about 1500 no huge LCOs dumping trailer fulls of stuff out there. Not really sure what they do with it when full, be interesting to find out.
  5. Azrael

Azrael LawnSite Member

How do you decide how much extra to charge if you're just hitting it with a bagger when you do your regular cut? Hourly rate depending on how much longer it takes you?
  6. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

You gotta charge for your time and wear and tear on your truck to haul away debris to the dump. Id charge 65-85 for every load you haul off
  7. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

If I understand your question correctly your asking, "why is a seperate leaf cleanup required if your already there providing mowing services that should be elimating the leaves each week?" Is that the question your looking to have answered?

A cleanup usually consists of removing the leaves from the lawns and flowers beds. Depending on where you live your mowing season probably ends sooner then all the leaves are off the trees.

Around here our mowing season ends at the end of October while the leaves have just started to fall. Depending on the weather most of the leaves won't be off the trees until late November, thus requiring a seperate leaf cleanup.
  8. CoreyD

CoreyD LawnSite Member

well i always haul sticks and leaves away to the dump i dont even ask if they would care if i burned it because..... i think it looks more professional.... to haul it away instead of leaving a big burn mark in their yard ;) and our dump here is free to