Clear $25 on a $30 cut?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by delphied, Apr 28, 2008.

1. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Well. I got moderated off another thread for commenting on Procuts assertion that a solo clears 25 on a 30 dollar lawn cut. If he is legit he sure cant and if he isnt legit it would still be difficult with a anything but a 21. What do you think?

2. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

to be legit, you only need insurance. i pay 600 bucks a year so i dont think his assessment is too outlandish.

3. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

+ taxes.............

4. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i just figured taxes was common sense. i just didnt want him to think you had to get workmans comp and pay into umemployment, business licenses and all that good stuff.

5. pdenney11

pdenney11 LawnSite Senior Member

Why does this sound so far off to you?

6. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe he can but I can't. Too much overhead on my end.

7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Every part of the country is so different I don't see how such a broad statement could apply. I mean ask the Florida guys how much they get. Often $60 per month, gross. Others in high end urban area's may make much more. Sizes of lot's vary greatly from area to area also.

8. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

Honestly, I doubt it, But I could if I had about 3 yards lined up and could knock them out at 15 minutes a piece. $90 in 45 minutes, it could be done but I could not crank that out all day long. JMHO

9. Paulup

Paulup LawnSite Senior Member

I cut most yards for 70 bucks a pop, right at 2 acres. Insurance is 632 a year, these yards are within 3 miles of my house, and I cut them in about an hour. If my mower uses less then 2 gallons of gas(2cycle trimmer in that number) i can clear 65 bucks take home on a 70 dollar lawn. I don't have employees, so I pay no workman's comp, and in Louisiana you are not required to collect taxes on "lawn care." Depending on what part of the country you live in, he is spot on. You can claim things like auto insurance, drive time, etc all play a factor, but those costs decrease the more your customer base grows. Its definitely possible.

10. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Wow. I pay at least 25% to uncle sam in income tax and self employment tax. My liability, theft, and vehicle insurance is 2000 per year. If I mowed 1000 lawns during the year, thats 2 bucks per lawn. Gas, supplies. I paid for my tax return around 500 last year. Equipment and maintenance costs. Dont you guys ever buy oil, filters, blades? Maybe most guys arent legit on here. Thats what it looks like to me. I dont care what part of the country you are from, I dont think it only costs you 5 bucks to mow a lawn.