Clear an acre

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by stanley24, Aug 15, 2006.

1. stanley24

stanley24 LawnSite Member

Hello, I am looking for some advice.
    Wife and I just purchased 15 more acres. Rolling wooded hills in sandy soil.
    Mostly (and many)small soft maple. Red pines (which are around 50 foot) but scattered sparsely. (Northern Wisconsin)
    My question is how to go about finding a company that would want to take one acre in the middle of this plot and clear it leaving only a few large trees to make the yard for our future house?
    One landscape company did not return my call and one company did not return an e-mail? Was wondering if I am having bad luck or am contacting the wrong trade to start with?
    I own a new TC40 4x4 tractor with a 6ft tiller, land scape rake, box blade
    back blade, front end loader and 6ft woods rotary cutter but I think this job will require more expertise and more profesionalism than I can give it.
    (I live 5 hours from this place right now but need to get the area cleared for the house which will be built in 2 years
    Any advice will be appreciated, thank you.
    Tom

2. lzrj

lzrj LawnSite Member

my advise would be to do it yourself and save thousands of dollars. get a few of your friends and make a weekend trip out of it. you could even camp out on your land. i have five acres that was all heavily wooded. I cleared out an acre myself using just one cheapo sears chainsaw. It took me months but I did it all myself and cut down probably 100 large oaks (50 to 80 feet tall). if you dont want to do that then i think you may be contacting the wrong people. around here landscaping and tree services and totally different companies. so look for tree services in that area and you should have better luck.

3. KERRTURF

KERRTURF LawnSite Member

Have you thought about contacting a mill or a timber company to come and timber the area out. Depending on what you have available, you may be able to sell the lumber and make enough to pay an excavator to do the dirt work.

4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Call up a contractor and have him take care of it. Tell him what you want done and get him to go through contacting the tree companies, and having a plot cleared.

5. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

that is exactly what i was going to suggest. or timber it, keep the $$, clear the rest yourself, and use the timber $ to either lower the payment on the land or use it for downpayment on the house.

6. stanley24

The wood value would be nill. Most of the maple that will be cut are under 5inches dia. The larger pines are very few. There are areas that have nice wood but these areas are not where I am putting in the yard.
    I had thought about doing it myself. My best friend is a owner of a logging company (2 employees very small). He owns a small processor (ideal for what I need done) Skidder forwarder etc. When talking with him, basically, he tells me that he cant move the equipment in there for that small a job, he is contracted with a lumber company and has deadlines himself.

The cutting down of trees is not my real problem. I can do that with no problem, if it was needed. (this is where I show that I am a tool and die maker and not a landscaper) what I am after is the end result. Having the ground prepaired for a lawn. Removing the roots and stumps of all the brush and trees. Also, removing the wood material, whether it be by chipping or other means.
    What kind of buisness does this? Is it unusual to find a landcape company to do the rough clearing? (I am lost on where to start here).

I dont want to start whacking down tree's only to find out later that it would be easier to remove the roots if they were left standing? LOL.
    If I am rambling I am sorry, the frustration is creeping in and its only the beginning!.
    Thanks again
    (BTW) Anyone know anyone (company) near Eau Claire Wisconsin that needs a small job like this?

7. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

maybe try a tree service and then call the landscape co after a clean site is ready for them?

8. lzrj

lzrj LawnSite Member

when you start building your house, the excavating company will plow the land to clear and prep for the foundation. not positive, but i think it would be cheaper if they were cut down first. i would think they would charge extra to take the whole tree down (easier to just deal with stumps). either way the stump or the whole trees would be piled up to be burned. thats your four options 1)cut yourself 2)tree service cut for you 3)see if some company would timber them for you 4)have the excavator take them out when preping the ground.

9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

If you've got a 40 horse tractor with a front end loader all you need is a chainsaw..........
    Cut down the trees and leave a three foot high stump, take the trator and push or pull the stumps out.
    An acre won't take that long if the trees are indeed sapling stage.

Tool and die maker, eh?
    One of the few still left in the trade.........
    I had to get out...........

10. stanley24

(off topic)
    Just read in our paper in Kenosha, Wi that a 30 year old man that owned his own buisness went thru his chipper today! The co workers could not turn it off, he had tried to dis-lodge a stuck branch with his foot! OUCH!)

Yep Tool and die maker LOL A die-ing breed (LOL)

How do you guys go about working the ground with so many roots ? Is there a machine that munches it all up?
    Would I be better off to have the wood chipped into a large pile (so I can spread it over my trails thru out the woods) or am I better off having it hauled out? I dont think I want to burry all the waist wood, just the stumps.