1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Clear this...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Viseras lawn service, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Viseras lawn service

Viseras lawn service LawnSite Member
    from 6

This is the woods between my house and the neighbors....very overgrown, all vines, poison ivy, prickers, and a few trees all mixed in. We have decided to take everything out except the larger trees and install lawn area in the cleared areas.

The Plan:
    Rent 15000 lb mini EX with thumb to tear everything out.
    Have a 30 yd dumpster dropped off for brush, empty as needed.
    Rent Bobcat w/ harley rake
    Bring in 10-20 ydds topsoil and regrade for seeding.

All of this will begin in late october/early november (when ever all the leaves are down).

Just wanted opinions on how you would go about doing this...the area is about 50 ft wide by 120 ft long **see pics

Picture 003.jpg

Picture 004.jpg
  2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i did a similar job at my parents place a couple weeks ago. i thought i would get a machine too, i ended up just using 2 machete's, sweat and a 3 prong hoe/cultivator to remove the hacked out prickers. I put stuff on my trailer and took it to a wood grinding facility about 10 min down the road. you can really get the stuff to compress if you walk on it, or press on it with an excvator.

a 15k machine would be overkill in my opinion, but if thats whats available, use it.
  3. Viseras lawn service

from 6

yeah i want to avoid the backbreaking labor...much easier to just get the machine and be outta there in 1-2 days.

I used the 10k machine for stumps but there wasnt much difference in price so i might just go with the larger one just for the added power incase some of the larger trees have to come out.

We might also have to move a few large rocks that are covered by the brush :alien:
  4. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

spray it let it dry then slow control burn trust me it works and it is so much easier to clean up.
  5. Viseras lawn service

from 6

Burning is good if there is no posion ivy....if that stuff get in you lungs you are screwed.
  6. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Even after the removal, you'll have a hell of a time trying to grow/maintain turf w/ the overhead tree canopy. You may have to trim & thin trees & keep on top of them.
  7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Get a chipper infront of the 30 yd dumpster. You can get all of that stuff in one or two if you run it through a chipper.
  8. Viseras lawn service

from 6

Some of those trees will come down due to the excessive vines to allow light to reach the ground.

I have tried chipping this type of stuff before and chipping vines is tough unless they are decent diameter. I can get alot in the dumpster then pile the logs on top....should be able to get quite a bit in there i hope. It will me much easier when all the leaves are down tho.
  9. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

rent a bobcat with this

and then use the bucket to scrape up all the rest and dump it in the dumpster.
  10. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

If it were me, I'd get a good sized chuck n duck chipper, mainly cause they chip most anything, screw the disc models, they suck for this application. a skidloader with a rake/grapple attachment, and some time in front of the chipper just feeding it in. the drum chipper will do MUCH better for this job though cause of its design, the disc models have those feed wheels which the vines will get tangled up in, and you'll be shutting it down every 10 mins to cut the vines off. the drum model, will just inhale that stuff, shred it and shoot it out. just so you understand why I say drum over disc for this application.