Clearing Bushes for new planting

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Premo Services, Mar 17, 2002.

1. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a customer that has 10-15 bushes that grow wild in the woods. They are 6-8 ft tall. I have never done this before, and need to know how much of a problem it would be to get the roots out? I will be cutting them down and digging them up, pulling the roots out.

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on what kind of bush it is. I would advise leaving the top intact and using the leverage when digging the roots out. For that many you may want to look into renting or bringing in a mini excavator to speed up the job.

3. Commander

Commander Banned

Why do the bushes need to be removed? Is this a managed wood lot, or an unmanaged wood lot? This could either be potential for a good amount of work, or something that would be better left untouched.

4. Premo Services

CT18fireman --- I believe they are called honeysuckle bushes. They usually grow along the front of a wooded area.

Commander The bushes, smal trees are in a wooded like area, and the customer wants them out so he can have landscape plantings placed there. e wants me to do the whole job, but I was just unsure about how hard the bushes would be to dig out.
    Thanks!!:D

5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

do you have to save the bushes? if not, can you back a truck in there and wrap a chain around them to rip them out? i find using the truck and chain is the best way to get roots and the bush. just be careful and dont stand near the chain when its getting pulled out.

6. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

You can buy a blade for you weed wacker to cut them down. I'm not sure how much the blade runs now but they used to run about $30. I don't know how thick the branches are you didn't say. But if they are an inch or under you can use a blade. You can go about this two ways:

1. Cut everything just below ground level. Then use a stump grind to grind the remining roots down even lower.

2. Cut everything to about waist high. Then take a spade shovel to trench around the bush and pop it out.

Trenching and poping out the bush can be a ball busting way.
    You can try to bring your truck to pull it out. But make sure you put the chain or rope around the frame not on the bump. You could ripe your bumper right off. Also put down some pile wood on the lawn. Ride only on the pile wood with your truck. This will help to prevent you from putting tire tracks on your customers lawn. But make sure you ask the customer first!!!
    Good luck
    Travis;)

7. Premo Services

Thanks for the replies!!!!:D

I am thinking about the stump grinder. Will check into the rental fees of one.
    I cannot use a truck because there is no way to get into the area.

AGG Lawn Maintenance: If you grind the roots out, will that keep them from growing back?

My first thoughts were to dig them up, but the old back just isn`t what it used to be. :(