clearing land

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by bobcatboy, Apr 11, 2005.

1. bobcatboy

bobcatboy LawnSite Member

a guy called me about clearing some land. heneeds all trees and brush 12'' and smaller cleared and pilled central on the property, he has 10 acres. what do you guys think would be the best plan of attack, and what attachments should be used. give me some input
  2. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Subcontracting to a logging company springs to mind....
  3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I'm thinking bulldozer................
  4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

12" and smaller, that can be handled with a small excavator and skid steer easily. Get yourself a good chainsaw and go through and cut all trees that you have flagged for cutting. Once they're down, it's a matter of going through and collecting them. A skid steer with a grapple bucket will work perfect for this. While someone is hauling trees to the landing, an excavator or another skid steer can be working somewhere else clearing brush. Just a couple thoughts.
  5. bigz1001

bigz1001 LawnSite Member

Depends what equipment you are going to use. If you are wanting to use a skid steer and mini-ex I would suggest making multiple small piles, since I assume he is just going to burn it anyhow. I agree that a dozer is most likely the best tool for the job.
  6. TerraFirma Excavating

TerraFirma Excavating LawnSite Member

What is the final purpose of clearing the land? Is it going to be planted or just opened up for a view? I assume they want the stumps removed also.

I would go in there with the Brushcat on my skidsteer and cut down / "mulch" the smaller brush. This will open it up better to remove the larger trees. Depending on the final purpose, the mulched up brush can be left in place. From my experience, DO NOT cut the trees first with a chainsaw. Not only does it require hand labor, but would make it harder to remove the stumps. A skidsteer can easily push over 12" trees. Raise the bucket to gain some leverage and push. Depending on the roots, you may need to dig up one side of the tree first. Push the tree over, then pick up and shake the dirt off the root system.

Carry the whole tree (with forks) to a discard pile. Depending on the root ball size, you may have to cut the roots off. If you are burning the pile of trees on-site no problem. If the trees are going to be cut up into firewood, avoid dragging them through the dirt. It's amazing how little dirt it takes to dull a chainsaw chain. If you cut at dusk, you can actually see little sparks from the abrasiveness of the dirt.
  7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

D6 and then an excavator to bury whats does not burn. Get in and get out with out wasting time.
  8. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Terra Firma, I really enjoy reading your posts.

Very informative and always helpful, no attitude.

Thanks! If you're ever in Virginia the Margarita's are on me.
  9. TerraFirma Excavating

I starting clearing 9 acres with a D4 and planned on burying it. It's a suprising amount of overburden and I didn't want to worry about sink holes later on so I changed my approach.

Different areas have restriction on open burns. Where I'm at, you are only allowed a 10'x10' burn when weather conditions are good. If fire danger is high, no burning allowed. Last year forrest fires were terrible here in Alaska. I wasn't allowed to open burn during the summer. Then we have air quality restrictions in the winter months so open burning is banned November 1st - March 31st. I have seen dumpster container utilized for burning. It was feed with an excavator. Looked like it worked well, but also took a fair amount of time.

Right now I have a 40'x40'x8' tall pile of trees that needs to be burned before burning restriction take effect May 1st. Last year I hauled about 24 tons of brush to the landfill for disposal. A chipper may have reduced the size of the loads, but may be pretty labor intensive. It sure was easy to load on the trailer with my forks and just haul to the landfill. The landfill operator pulled it right off my trailer with a choker. A little time consuming, but not very labor intensive.
  10. TerraFirma Excavating

Thanks Green Pastures,

I like to share my ideas and what has worked for me. I also enjoy reading EVERYONE's posts here. Many great ideas for all aspects of the industry. It's amazing how different parts of the country have different methods.

I don't know if I'll every end up down in Virginia, but I appreciate the offer. If you ever make it up to Alaska, I would could have you over for some barbequed salmon and Alaskan Amber.