Clearing some trees, machine?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by tthomass, Jan 12, 2007.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Okay, so I'm going to be clearing and grading about 4 acres. I would say 2 acres of it is covered with White Pine. Most of the pine are around a 6" cal but there are several 10" cal in there 20-25' tall.

I'm going to run them through a chipper btw.

I was thinking of using a mid size excavator with a thumb to load into the chipper.

The mid size excavator shouldn't have a prob with popping the large cal pines up out of the ground should it? More power than a backhoe.

Thanks!

-honestly I'd like to bulldoze it all and throw a match to it but I don't think the county would appreciate that:laugh:

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I would use a chainsaw to top tree's taller than the excavator down to about 5' tall stumps.

The smaller trees I'd just crush over with the bucket.

A 5' stump is the easiest way to get enough leverage to pop out with an excavator. Are you planning on using a 6 ton machine (Like a Kubota KX-161) for this?

Its dangerous to try to push over a 25' tall tree with your excavator, you can't get a grip on it with the bucket unless you lop it first.

3. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

It will be slow with just an Excavator and a chipper.
    I would push them over with skid and then use the excavator too feed the chipper.

4. tthomass

from N. VA

I want to say its a Takeuchi TB-145???? I can't remember which it was I looked at today at United Rental.

I figured the bigger trees I would top with stumps for leverage (8"+ cal). The others just reach in and scoop them up. I know pines don't have great root systems but being a 10" cal on some of these trees I want to make sure I can get the stumps out. Then again I know I'll try to pull the larger trees up without cutting. There is nothing for them to fall on as far as houses etc, its a field and well, a white pine not a solid rock like an oak etc.

I was originally looking at using a Takeuchi TL-150 with grappler to take down the trees but was unsure if I could get the larger trees taken care of with it. Also, the excavator with thumb would be easier to load the chipper.

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Why chip the wood cut the branches off then stack the logs up and put a sign on it firewood. If somebody else can get a use out of it or somebody will buy it from you for hundred dollars.

6. tthomass

from N. VA

Firewood is an idea. The land I'm clearing I live on but is not mine.......I rent from them and also enables me to park my equip there......2 birds with one stone.

Thing is I'd be putting a lot of wear and tear on my chainsaws cutting a few hundred trees.......chains, oil, gas, bar etc.

The idea is a quick clean solution. Take the chips to the local nursery down the road and they use them for healing in plants vs hauling to the dump and fees.

The area is going to be turned into a dog park.

7. AWJ Services

from Ga

If it is not a time issue then the excavator will work.
    The TL150 will work as well.Sometimes the pines break and makes it hard too get the stump up.

Pines can have a nasty tap root that can go very deep.
    This time of the year the ground is soft.Should make it easier.

If you are going too rent United Rental has 15 ton Excavators available.
    They are reasonable.
    The time saved will be great.Or they have Loaders.A track loader will make short work of it and allow you the ability too grade the property as well.

I would not attempt 4 acres with a 5 ton excavator.
    Even if you do make it you still will have holes everywhere.

Most people here will not burn pine in the fireplace.

8. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Your going to need to use the chainsaw quite abit anyways you would want to cut the root ball of the tree off and haul it away.

Without pictures its hard to say what the best move to do but a 20 inch diameter tree 25 feet tall is pretty small trees I could do a job like that with a Stihl MS260 with a 20 inch bar. Cut the birds mouth out do the backcut the tree falls over delimb the tree and go to the next one.

9. AWJ Services

from Ga

A big chipper will take the root ball as well.
    Just knock the dirt off the root ball first.

10. tthomass

from N. VA

Its driving me nuts not being able to remember what machine I was looking at. Think I'll go back tomorrow and take notes. Never used anything Takeuchi except for the TL-150. The rental was $825 for a week so its not a 15ton.

The field is 4 acres but its about 2 acres MAX of pine.

Time is not really an issue. Its winter and I'm trying to take it a little easy before spring hits vs ball busting all day.