clearing the air

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by nmurph, Aug 9, 2005.

1. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

i have a mft 17/42. i was in a dealership last week looking for a 21" spwb for a little "ditch" work. i had shopped his brand bf i bought the mft. he remembered me and asked if i had purchased a zt yet. i told him "yes" and he said that his line, gravely/ariens was the original zt. he also said that the hydros on his were larger ( i had to bite my tongue not to tell him that his minizoom and zoom series reeked of "home owner", while my mft is d<<> near commercial ). i remember that hustler claims to have made the first zt. i know that g/a has been around for a long time and i have seen other threads that claim they were the original zt. swisher also makes this same claim. who is right? is there some minutiae that i am mssing? also, i checked the hydrogear website and don't see ezt pumps listed. i saw a "zt" line under consumer pumps and there were several sizes of these pumps. are the mft pumps a zt line pump? which pump/what size? are there diferent sizes of ezt pumps? how are pumps sized? he mentioned something about cc's for sizing.

all of this is a moot point, as i couldn't be happier with my hustler, but i like to know the facts to cut through the bs when it gets thrown my way.
    btw, there is a current thread on the ls commercial forum discussing the reliabililty of hustlers. you might want to check it out. i didn't see any reference to the outstanding customer service awareness and response that you seem to offer. here is the thread http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=95691. i know that each manufacturer has their advocates and detractors, but what i saw doesn't jive with what i have seen on this forum.

sorry this is so long, but thanks for the info.

mc, keep up the GREAT work!!!!!!!!

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Just reading this.... sorry for the delay.....
    I will respond in the am.

Pj

3. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

have you had time to gather any info in regards to this post?

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Here is a little history on Hustler Hustler history
    I don't know where the dealer came up with Arien's / Gravely being the first zero turn, it is usually argued that Dixon or Grasshopper were, but neither of those are the case either, Swisher is front wheel steering unit, to be true zero turn the rear wheels must be able to counter rotate against each other, this is not possible with units using a solid rear axle or trans axle.
    As far as Hydrogears website goes, it lacks the IZT's we use in the FasTrak and the EZT's we use in the Mini fasTrak, I am not a hydraulic expert, so I really cant comment on how they classify a hydrostatic axle.
    They do classify hydraulic pumps by displacement such as what we use in our commercial units 10cc, 16cc and 21cc units, the larger the cc's, the better in most cases.
    You may want to e-mail Hydrogear directly on this.
    Let me know if you have any other questions.

Pj

5. cphilip

cphilip LawnSite Member

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

7. cphilip

cphilip LawnSite Member

Yea. What they are doing at thier site is directing you to "Consumer" ZT and then showing ZT's. Three of them. I guess since they sent you to consumer they felt no need to clarify the E of the EZT or distinguish it from IZT for some reason. Not sure why.

Can you identify which of the three is used in the Mini FT? They do share some/many charicteristics but it looks to me that it depends on the weight they are going to be applied to handle. And the shaft size employed.

8. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I will ask the guys in engineering, and find out which model they are showing on the Hydrogear website that we use, if it is even shown.

Pj

9. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Engineering just got back with me....
    Our Mini FasTrak's use the Hydrogear model 310-2200 EZT's.

Pj

10. cphilip

cphilip LawnSite Member

Then I am guessing its the first one on the link... the one they list as -2200

If so thats the 150 ft # of torque each motor. Designed for 18" wheels. Note there is one next to that.... the 2400 that is also designed for 18" wheels but has 250 ft pounds! Wowza... I think I just figure out how to race this thing!!!! :cool2: