1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Clicking under truck.....

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mcwlandscaping, May 7, 2007.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Over the last week i notice clicking under the truck while i'm driving and tonight i had my dad drive the truck while i listened and while i ran next to it so see if i could hear where it was coming from. You can only hear it at low speeds most likely because the sound of the motor and exhaust drown out the clicking. What could this be? Something in the driveshaft joints somewhere maybe? It's not the tranny and not the rear diff. and is definitely coming from somewhere under the truck behind under the bed. It may be something insignificant but i hate things wrong with the truck and hate putting off fixing anything on the truck.

2. snowbrdr360

snowbrdr360 LawnSite Member

Could be a U jouint ready to check out on ya
  3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Take the clothes pins and playing cards off the wheels. :laugh:

Does sound like a U joint like snowbrdr said.
  4. mcwlandscaping

As most places are closed right now, how much should i expect to pay for new ones as i'll just do it at school durring shop........we just did this same thing with the teachers truck a few weeks ago.
  5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

15/20 bux a pop should cover it.
  6. mcwlandscaping

Thank you very much!!

edit...dumb question...... how many are there?
  7. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

one on each end on the drive shafts sounds like youre only doing the main one going to the rear but theres also a drive shaft going to the front for your 4x4
  8. mcwlandscaping

thank you very much guys! that'll be wednesdays project!!
  9. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

You might actually want to check it first.
    Chock the wheels WELL, so the truck can't roll. Put it in neutral.
    Climb under the truck and push back & forth on each U joint in several different directions. Look closely where each of the 4 "legs" fits into the bearing cup for play. IF you see ANY play, it's a bad U joint.
    IF you end up replacing any of them, mark the drive shaft in relation to the differential yoke. You can have balance issues if you don't mate them up the way they were.
  10. Turfinator1

Turfinator1 LawnSite Member

Yeah its your U joints. You will have to check but on mine 99 chevy silverado I had to heat them up to make to glue come out because they dont have clips. I would change all of them when you are doing it. I found out that all of mine were bad. Just .02