client asked me for a w-9, what do i do

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Thirdpete, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

Hey-
    Here's the deal: I put in a bid at a steel plant for 165/Month and they accepted. This is one of my first commercial accounts. They just need a W-9 now so that they can mail me a check.

I'm in Illinois, if that is relevant information. What exactly are they asking for and where do I get this? I'm a registered business and am insured, not a "fly by night" operation. Just need to be pointed in the right direction...

2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Never heard of a w-9

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

You sure they diden't ask you to fill out a 1099?

4. FSully

FSully LawnSite Member

5. FSully

FSully LawnSite Member

They will send him a 1099 at the end of the year.

6. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

A W-9 is required for them to verify your taxpayer information and to report your wages received directly from them in the event that you don't pay taxes on the money they pay you. If is actually VERY COMMON in the commercial care business. As an example I received 5 from commercial accts just yesterday alone.

Below is the direct IRS link on it:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw9.pdf

7. Luvs2Play

Luvs2Play LawnSite Member

It is their responsibility to send you the W9 form. It is needed by the company to make sure you are legit. That is the form they will base your 1099 on for taxes. Without the W9, they will take taxes out of what they pay you.
    Check with a CPA to make sure.

8. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

W-9
    A request for your tax payer ID # be it you EIN or SS, that is what they want, the reason is so they can show where they dispersed funds on their taxes. at the end of the year they should send you a 1099 Misc.
    here is the form, save it and print a copy to give them.
    http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf

9. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

There no big deal, I've recieved them numerous times, except they client always mailed/gave them to me. I have never been asked to provide one on my own.

10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

How many have got recieved them and never filled them out and still kept the job and got paid???? :laugh: :laugh:
    Dumbazz companies are so big they can't keep track of what they have or have not recieved back.
    Of couse it don't do you any good they just don't 1099 you but you still better report it:cry: