Client assaulted (2) employees...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by OnMyOwn, Aug 26, 2006.

1. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

We take care of a H.O.A. (condo) and have done so since 1993. They are generally good people, but I have a problem. Two weeks ago some "thug" approached my Hispanic employee and began yelling at him because we blew debris on his newly washed 1993 4-door Buick with $4,000 rims. This guy drug my "timid" Hispanic employee around the car showing him the dirt that had settled on his newly washed Buick. He then approached my other employee and got in his face, consistently using the "f" word and wanting some type of retribution. My leader told him there was nothing he could do other than blow off the car with the blower, then gave him my business card to give me a call. Well, the guy called me and was rude on the phone, so I hit "auto delete". The next week the same guy ran across the parking lot carrying on again, even though his car was not in the parking lot that day, asking why Kenny's boss was trying to "f" him. He wanted satisfaction. He was within inches of Kenny's face screaming about the situation, at which my leader told him to back off or he was calling 911.

When the crew returned, I found out about both incidents in detail. In fact, this is the first time I heard that he had put his hands on my Hispanic employee. It was very upsetting to my Hispanic guy, even though he did not understand everything the guy was telling him, as he speaks little English.

Neither of my employees wants to pursue filing charges, so I contacted the H.O.A. (longtime friends) and resigned our services. They did a full investigation and found this guy to be a renter, not an owner. They went to the unit owner and levied a fine against the owner for not controlling his renter, and went to the renter and explained that he would be facing future charges and lawsuits if he acts in a similar manner toward any other residents, visitors, or contractors on the property.

My dilemma is the following: This guy is obviously a loose cannon. By the way, he is not a teenager, but a 31 year old man. He is clearly pissed that I did not call him to offer to wash off his Buick. Perhaps I should have, but I cannot control the wind, or the elements of the lawn care industry, nor can I wash every car in every parking lot due to running our blowers.

It just seems that I see many people being murdered in less volatile situations on the news everyday. I fear for the safety / comfort of my crew when on the property. I have 24 hours to let the Condo's know if I want to return for future service.

What would you do?

2. 24ON48OFF

24ON48OFF LawnSite Member

I would not have given up the account because of 1 renter. He dosnt have anything to do with the account other than he lives on the property. After the warning I would hope he would not do this again. And if his car is downwind of where your guys are using a blower, knock on his door and ask him to move it. Next season he probably wont even live there.

3. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

If its a good account I wouldnt let it go just for that. Now that the HOA stepped in everything "should" be ok, hopefully they scared him by saying about the lawsuits and actions that will be taken.

I'd go back.

4. Patriots

Patriots LawnSite Member

Go out there with ther crew, and if he lips off to you or any employees - punch him in the f_ing mouth. This guys a joke, if he was going to shoot anyone he would have already done it.

5. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldn't resign over one renter... But HOA should not allow that kind of action toward any one. Loose cannon should be taught that if he approaches anyone in a treating manner that is simple assault, and would be charged with that crime.

By quitting the cannon has won the battle. Quite a way to end a 13 year business relationship.

6. Surf'n'Turf

Surf'n'Turf LawnSite Senior Member

Had a woman at a condo flip out for the same reason. Got her a book of car wash tickets for 20 bucks and told her to please move her car on day of service. Problem solved. sounds like your guy may be more of a pud to deal with, though. 4 g's worth of rims 500 dollars worth of car....classic!

7. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

go put a cash wash coupon on his car and advise him this will be the last as you cannot control the wind etc. and let by gones be by gones

8. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

Why should you have to give up the one of the accounts that pays your bills and keeps your employees working,if that guy where in my town he would find his P.O.S. buick burning in an abandon parking lot for starters.........

9. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hes only a renter, go there with your crew, if he says anything to you call the cops. thats what they are out there for. or go to the local court and get a PPO against him. Or just go with the crew and personally blow as much crap up as possible and aim it straight at his car. If he comes out give him a good blow too, just have paco around with a weed whip to take him out if needed.:hammerhead: :hammerhead:

10. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly what he said. Dont put up with this guys shizit. Dont give up a good account because of 1 dumbass