Client calls and leaves a whiny 2 min long voicemail tonight

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by JContracting, Aug 3, 2012.

1. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I would have already dropped her.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Roger.... I have accounts that have to be done on certain days because the sprinklers are programmed off on the day I come. So if a 10 day account falls on on of those days it cant get done. Being solo its hard enough to deal with the weather and the extra stuff people often want, but a 10 day scedule wouldnt work for me. Ive had a few on a "on call" basis but they quit calling once you can no longer get to them in a day or two.

3. JContracting

JContracting LawnSite Bronze Member

I was able to sell her into going weekly with services & I know ill be able to sell her more, as of right now it is worth the slight stress.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

That is it man! When you have a PITA you upsell them.

5. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I like your style lol

6. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I sometimes have homeowners tell me to use their equipment. Every time it is to save them money. I then tell them, that the only way I make money is to use my equipment. That I don't want to be responsible if their equipment breaks down. You could accidentally cut the electric cord with the hedge trimmers. You could burn the motor up and have to pay for it. I have also had them tell me that they would do the cleanup only to have to mow around the debris for months.
    I don't mow on weekends either, so when the 10th day arrives on Saturday or Sunday then it is mowing is moved to Monday or Tuesday. I discourage 10 day schedules because of this and the fact the job could fall on a day that was already loaded with jobs.
    I don't mind people telling me how they want stuff done, but don't tell me what equipment to use. By the hour is fine with me. If they don't do the cleanup like they said then it will sit their until doomsday before I do it--unless they pay extra for me to do it.
    If you run your business professionally then there are some things you don't let the customers dictate. A lot less stressful and confusing if your run it your way. Many of them have never been in business for themselves.

7. Duekster

from DFW, TX

If the cleint does not want to pay to haul off and dispose of debris generated from the job then we bundle it and leave it at the curb. We do not leave trash in someones yard period.

8. C Jovingo Landscaping

C Jovingo Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Duekster's got it right. If anything, talk to PITA & say all that you ask is for them to clean it up in timely manner. Telll them this is a reflection of your business. If customer leaves clipping lay around for a period of time, a potential customer may see this & say "I'm not hiring that guy!"
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Most counties in SC don't have curbside yard waste pick up. Many cities do have curbside yard waste pick up. They don't want contractors dumping a lot of stuff on curbs. You can get away with dumping the smaller jobs. I wouldn't cut down a big oak and dump it on the curb

10. Duekster

from DFW, TX

Nontheless, I would not leave slash scattered about. It would get stacked. Often clients want to save some money but they do not realize how much work is in the clean up.

I actually did leave a large maple on the curb. It was over 6 yards of waste. The city charged 85 to pick it up. That was a deal for everyone involved.