1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Client calls and leaves a whiny 2 min long voicemail tonight

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by JContracting, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Yea, I just meant pick up for free. Probably would charge people. I haven't had a problem of customer leaving any large amounts debris laying around

2. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

What part of SC? I have family there. Around columbia and in the woods around Kershaw.

3. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

The Upstate part

4. StrokerTurbo7.3

StrokerTurbo7.3 LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly how it should be handled.

Very simple and to the point. This will also solve the problem of who is running your company as well as if she will continue to be a customer.

Only thing I would add is that it would be done with my equipment.

You do know that controllers can be changed, don't you?

All of our accounts (except during this drought) don't run the morning we are scheduled to mow. We adjust the controllers to our schedule, not to the controllers.

6. JContracting

JContracting LawnSite Bronze Member

This is too good. So Monday night after a long day I was relaxing watching American Greed (my new favorite show, never wanna miss an episode), its about 12:30am, my phone then starts ringing and it was her. Didn't answer, she left another 2 min long voicemail explaining how she thought we'd be coming on Tuesday morning to trim the shrubs (with my equipment, mind you) and not to come because now supposedly her family is going to come over & do it (eyes looking up smiley). I told her last week when I quoted her it would be Wednesday at the earliest we'd be there.
    Not sure what she was thinking but I can certainly say I've never had a client call me at that time of day and probably never will except during a snow storm.

And as to what the guy that had a client "handle" the trimmings and had to mow around them for weeks on end, you're definitely right about that, mowed there today and the trimmings from one of her weigela she did herself were still in the exact same location as last week :rolleyes:
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Time to say "Good bye" to this former customer.

8. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Call back at 6:30 AM too :laugh:

9. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

An extra measure of understanding and patience is required when dealing with the elderly. With the higher rate of age related illness, medications (negative reactions to), and the aging of the brain (senility), you can expect things like this to happen.

An employer had a lady calling him at three and four in the morning wondering where he was. In spite of the dark of night she was so confused as to not understand why he wasn't there painting her rooms.
    I pin much of it on medications taken by the elderly. Saw it in my parents, saw it in aging customers.
    Out of concern for the elderly customer it might be a good idea when weird things happen, to contact a family member of theirs, and let them know of any difficulty you had. They may not be aware of the full extent of the confusion and disorientation their parent or sibling may be going through.

10. JContracting

JContracting LawnSite Bronze Member

She is not elderly. She's no older than 45 or so. She's a single mom though and has 1 daughter. Everything is good when it comes to the mowing, she doesn't call about that ever.
    Posted via Mobile Device