1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Client death

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by polecat63, Nov 8, 2003.

1. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

Okay, maybe someone has a little experience with this. I had a client schedule a mulch instal for next week, Her daughter called me today and cancelled. It seem the husband (who was in his 80's and ill) passed away and they had to cancel. Of course that wasn't a problem, but I just wanted some pointers on what to do. Should I send a card, flowers, or nothing? Anyone have to deal with this before?
  2. Floridalandcare

Floridalandcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from Tampa

Yes I have , Ive dealt with this twice . What I did was find out from the neighbors where the services would be held and sent flowers and cards . I kept maintaining the properties , I figured it was one less thing for the family to have to deal with . On both occasions I received a thank you card in the mail . Chris
  3. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I had a client have a heart attack while we were working the only thing I cared about was I want my cash before he go to any hospital:D
  5. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

older than dirt - your a real softie underneath all of that harsh, cold exterior aren't you?!? lol

ok, we have had a few customers pass away and s.o.p. is to send a nice sympathy card, I keep several in my desk. I wouldn't send flowers. We attended the wake of one elderly man, b/c we were pretty close to him, but this was only in one case. And usually the family contacts us to tell us to send the bill elsewhere.
  6. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I will usually send a sympathy card if I like the customer.
  7. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks everyone!!!!!
  8. Blk94fiveOh

Blk94fiveOh LawnSite Member
    from MN

Is this a (bad) joke? Or are you really that cold of a person?
  9. thill

thill LawnSite Member

Same here, the gentleman was the sole remaining owner of the home.

We sent a card the family and then continued to keep the property looking nice (at no charge) until probate was done on the estate.

The good will was appreciated and jumped our reputation up a notch or two.

10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Its not a joke! The guy was a pita and insisted he help do a lawn install on a 95 degree day. After telling the guy to go sit down giving him water he kept insisting he was going to work. His wife is a nurse and told him the same thing. Were almost finished and the guys looking kinda sick so I walk him into the garage and sit him in a chair and give him some more water. My guys finish and load the equipment up, and that sob still giving orders. I get his wife and she checks him out takes some vitals and infoms me that she thinks he's have a heart attack and he's bitc*^#g that he's fine, so she decide she gonna take him to the ER. So yes I did ask her for a check before they left for 2 reasons #1 if the guys can bark orders the way he was, he's not that critical #2 If he is that critical and dies I still did the work and want my money and my contract says payment in full upon completion!
    So yea if you think I'm cold cruel person I suppose your right, I have 3 rule that I expect all people to follow, # 1 don't mess with my wife #2 don't mess with my kids and #3 don't mess with my money. And by the way I did call that nite and he did have a small heart attack but he was fine. I went back over to his house and kept it watered for the few days that he could not, 80 miles round trip. So I maybe cold and cruel but I'm thoughtful also.:angel: :angel: