1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Client Hasn't Paid ???!?!!!!??

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Robertsonslawnsinc, Nov 18, 2006.

1. Robertsonslawnsinc

Robertsonslawnsinc LawnSite Member

How yall doin?
    I picked up this account just about two months ago
    we take care of everything on the site it is about 11 acres
    been doing great work for them and they said there very happy
    so I have billed them for three things so far two side Jobs and the monthly lawn care bill. the place is a nursing home/retirehome
    they said I should be paid two weeks ago, havn't been paid been talking to the lady in accounting. talked to her this last tuesday she said I will be paid this week any day so today is Saturday and still no money!
    I told her we are holding services until we get paid.
    they owe me $2400.00 so if they don't pay with in another week is this somthing I would take to court or how should I go about this?? I don't want to lose the account but my guys have busted there butts geting this place back up to par and i'm not going to lose my money on what we have already done.
    whats your thought?

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Keep billing and they will always pay,we mowed a nursing home several years back they were always late it part of lawn care man you know.

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

This is a common question that no doubt will draw several different suggestions. IMO, Small Claims is the only way to go. But I've also learned that sometimes patience is a virtue. Decide just how long you want to wait and then take some action. They do get 30 days by law. If they feed you excuses for that amount of time and nothing becomes of it, I would go to SC.
  4. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

They'll pay you. Just be patient. I know it sucks waiting but with those kinds of accounts you have to wait and wait. They said they will be paying so just keep mowing and when the check comes in during a slow period you will be glad that you now have the cash in hand. Think of it as a savings account, just with no interest- unless you break out the old late payment fee.
  5. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

Have heard this many times with nursing homes. They will prob pay. Do you have a contract? Does it specify time for payment? If not consider it.
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We have 3 nursing home maintenance accounts. They have always been 60 or 90 days from as long as I can remember. And yes, they always pay in full. Would I like our money sooner? Sure. I know it will be there eventually and that is all that matters.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

$2400 is probably too much for Small Claims...the limit is $1000 in Virginia.
  8. Olylawnboy

Olylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Oly Wa

I have an account like that. They pay like clockwork, three months late to the day:dizzy:
  9. Robertsonslawnsinc

Robertsonslawnsinc LawnSite Member

so it sounds like alot of nursing homes are this way then?
    None of my banks or my other customers are this bad...
    I'll give it some more time.
    does any one use Direct Withdraw??
    seems like that would be nice
  10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I imagine nursing homes have to deal with insurance companies and all to get paid a lot of the time. And we all know how insurance companies DON'T like to part with their money. And when they do, they take their sweet a** time about even after they have chiseled you down in any way they possibly can.