Client Information...?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Austin, Mar 29, 2002.

1. Austin

Austin LawnSite Member
    from TN

What all do you need to keep up with while mowing, i'm starting my own little mowing business nothing big at all probab;y end up with around 20 lawns all residential. As far as client information goes how do you keep up with it? All on computers or just in a notebook..also do you write down things like when you mowed, what you did, for each yard? Also as for tax write-offs should i just keep al reciepts while working?

2. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I just keep a 3x5 index card file with all the needed info such as cust. name, address, cost per cut or monthly contract amount, date and service provided. At the end of the month I bill using that info. It's simple and easy for me to keep organized this way. I also keep a notebook with me during the day and just transfer the info. to my card file when I get home. Good luck.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Computer w/Quickbooks...no other way. Too many accounts otherwise.

4. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

we used to do all the information on paper only. we had a yearly single sheet fie for each customer

(information would include:
    name,
    address,
    phone number,
    businees phone number,
    price per cut, or monthly price

we would make a list of all customers we mowed. and any other billable jobs we did each day. then we would transfer them over to the individuals file. at the end of the month, make bills for each customer, and send them out.

for you, this would be a simple way t start out. there is a site online where you can fill out monthly invoices for any business if you like. if you are interested, e-mail me, and i will try to find it.

yes, keep receipts for anything you purchase for your business.

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i keep my records on my billing booklets . 3 copy type.
    it has last mowed date ,and any things i need to remember
    jotted dn on it.this serves as tax info an supplies a reciept.
    also records profit after expences.
    of course i have all their names and adresses etc in a separate book.

6. HacMan91

HacMan91 LawnSite Member

If your starting out use microsoft outlook (contacts). It keeps up with all client info. under the address part you can add cutting height and dollar amount. Each time you add a client it alphabetizes it for you. You can print it out different ways, such as a quick phone list or detailed address cards. It should be on all computers.

7. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

I with rodfather. I wanted to get clip but the wife won't go for spend $1,000.:( But Quick books is fine.
    Travis

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Plus with QuickBooks, you can custom design your own daily invoice or monthly statement to be sent to your customers.

Works for us...big time.

can email me if you need any more info

9. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

It's a good idea to keep record of time, dates, and services performed. I got burned last year from a client who said I was billing them for work I didn't do.