1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Client nit-picking your contract...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by precisioncut, Nov 22, 2004.

1. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

..Do you let them do this? Especially the back part under "Terms and Conditions."

Went to sign a contract with a new clent and they picked at everything on the contract. No big deal until we got to the part that said they would be charged a $10 late fee. He said "I don't want to be charged a late fee!" I said, "Well you will and it will stay in the contract!" His wife calmed him down and he accepted.
    Then we got to the end where is says that I may need to take legal action if not paid. That he will be responsible for all charges, including additonal charges, collection fees, and resonable attorneys fees if his account is unpaid.
    He went ahead and crossed that part out and said I refuse to agree to that. I told him that it is standard and I told him to pull any contract he has signed before and he will see it. He said I was treating him as if he woundn't pay and I told him that he was showing to me that he wasn't by crossing out the one part that makes a big difference. So I grabbed my contract and left.

I can't believe people do this to us just because I am the "lawn guy" and not the cable co.!!!!!!!!!
  2. LCME

LCME LawnSite Senior Member

That customer is a pita. i have a contract for next year just like yours. my new customers read this and say i'm a professional. and have not problems signing it because they plan to pay me on time. and that is the way it should be. because you're a professional stick to your contract. i would of left to if a customer did not agree to the contract. some people just do not get it.
  3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

you know who to thank for that, don't you?
  4. Ability

Ability LawnSite Member

I have found that attitude and appearance have a lot to do with. Go in a uniform or at least a shirt with you company logo on it, act like the contract is standard. And, when they don't like politely leave.

Like Bobby has said many times.....they will come back.
  5. Duramax99

Duramax99 LawnSite Member

Don't worry about it. Your contract, your business and your RULES!!! He sounded like he was going to be a pita anyway. He sounds like he won't pay by not signing that part of your contract. Move on.
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have only had one customer ever try that before. I told him that the contract was now void after he crossed something off and he basically didn't want to listen, so I left.
  7. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

That guy sounds like an idiot. Why even have a service agreement if those things aren't in it? Does he think that by crossing it out, it doesn't apply? If he doesn't pay that your not going to try to collect?

Just to be funny, after he crossed out payment terms, you should've crossed out the work to be done, then sign it and leave it with him LOL!
  8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

incredible isn't it? a couple yrs ago, i had a client scribble out a sentance in the contract and write, "i disagree" next to it. the sentance read, "the lawn will be mowed on a weekly basis. if adverse weather conditions cause us to miss your regularly scheduled day, and the service cannot be made up within 3 days, service will then resume on your next regularly scheduled cutting day. if excessive growth causes us to have to double or tripple cut, there may be an extra charge for this visit." he scribbled it out, and wrote , "i dissagree." ha ha ha, i told him it's not an option, it's our policy, take it or leave it.
  9. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

The only logical reason for him trying to cross those parts out is because he's used to screwing people over in the past and knows if he agrees unconditionally he'll be automatically liable in the courts eyes. Just like you said to him, his actions are indicating his intentions. You should have given him a number to one of those guys who advertizes they'll do any lawn for $15. Would be a perfect match. :cool2:
  10. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

When this guy answered the door, did he say "Hi, I'm Mr. Johnson, and I'm a PITA!" It's always nice when they give you a heads-up.