Client Sod Problem

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by intheclearlandscapes, Apr 11, 2007.

1. intheclearlandscapes

intheclearlandscapes LawnSite Member

I have a client who just bought a new house about 6 months ago...right before winter. Anyways, when the house was built, a company came and put sod down, but then winter hit and the sod never quite caught hold. Now it is still not growing in the front yard, and it just looks brown and patchy in spots. Should i just wait to see if some rain and sun helps it, or should i look into fertilizing or seeding or something. Kind of new to the business, so not too familiar with sod and maintenance of it. Any suggestions? Oh yea, i live in northern Virginia, if that helps any with type of climate.

2. Puttinggreens

Puttinggreens LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from southeast PA

What type of sod is it? Is it Kentucky Bluegrass? If so, it can take quite a while to green up. Other grass will green up first.

Pull a few individual grass plants out of the sod and carefully pull back the outer blades. At some point the you should find either new green blades emerging form the middle of the plant, or all brown, dead blades. I'm betting you will find life. You must get on your hands and knees to see if this grass is still alive.

Let us know what you find.

3. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Definately makes a difference depending on turfgrass type - southern grasses are dormant so you must have a northern type . At any rate , puttinggreens is right - too early in the season to know for sure.