client w/balance from 2002

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ant, Apr 12, 2003.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

client has a balance from 2002 wonts me to treet his lawn this season.

he has a $150.00+- balance from last yr.
    i am going out there to collect today and he asked me to start treating his lawn..
    last yr. was the first yr. treating him...and he was late a few times in the past...
    this balance is from 09/02 and 11/02 treatments...
    he had alot of time to pay...

should i -------
    1. get paid and drop him?
    2. get him to pre-pay 1/2 the program?
    3. pay the whole program?
    4. treat and bill him as i go along?

2. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Defintaly #3

And surely the guy will understand why!!
  3. Clay

Clay LawnSite Member

Drop him or pre-pay.... only options...

Good Luck, Clay
  4. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

I think it depends.......

does his late payment put any hardship on you? (if not I'd go about business as ussual, he is paying though late)

We have a 60 day policy (but it is not written in stone) Any customer hit 60 days without making payment or not contacting us to explain why they are late with payment, we cancel! But, I do make exceptions to that rule. Our software is set up to put that account on Financial Hold (no invoices will be printed for any further service) I check the list and override the hold status on select accounts.

When I first started the business I was a little bit more strict with this policy because waiting to be paid did put some strain on finances. These days I can be more forgiving.
  5. Meier

Meier LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

I wouldn't do another app until he's 100% current.

You'd be in a lot better position if you had insisted that he be current before you made the November app. This customer is walking all over you.

Stand up for yourself. Tell him he's on credit hold until his account is brought current.

We all hate the thought of losing a customer. But somehow, we should find a way to be happy about losing a customer that won't pay. Remember, it's not the customer you's the customer's payment.

If you did an app in September that he still hasn't paid you for 7 months later, he probably has no intention of paying you. Or no way to pay you. You'd probably be doing yourself a favor to drop this dead beat.

DFW, TX
  6. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

i got the payment on saturday,deposited it saturday also...
    sent him a letter today to request pre-pay for whole program of no applications from me this season...if he called last yr. ad sain he was going tobe late thats onething but he did not....
  7. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

or a valid credit card to keep on file and charge each time you do a service