1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Client wants a better yard

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by cutman2000, May 19, 2012.

1. cutman2000

cutman2000 LawnSite Member

I have a client that had Centipede about 4 years ago(before me), but is now pretty much gone because of weeds, his soil is horrible and swampy. He's never had the lawn fertilized or anything(pre/post emergent, herbicides, etc.). The guy just watered for 4 years. Now his lawn is just weeds and really looks bad. He has so many inconsistent weed spots, I'm almost ashamed to bill him. I gave him a few ideas.
    #1. Fertilize/treat and hope the Centipede comes back.(90% weed now, big hope)
    #2. Take up existing lawn and replant sod again
    #3. Cut existing grass really, really low and replant sod on top of that.
    #4. Take up old grass, seed.

He hired me to cut the lawn, but this was damaged when I started. So why do I feel so bad? When you all take on a property, do you automatically treat it and fertilize it?

2. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Your taking this job to personal. Determin what your customer wants to do and give him options based on a budget he has in mind. Once you have a budget work from that point and give him choices so he can make an informed decision. It's a job not an adventure.
    Do your homework and check back later.
    easy-lift guy