Client wants all landscape beds excavated and replaced

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Emerscape, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Emerscape

Emerscape LawnSite Member

I have a client who recently had a septic system replaced in her backyard. Because of the way the system was constructed, all of her landscape beds were destroyed and replaced with standard fill. She is an avid gardener and knowledgable hortuculturist in some ways and insists that all of her beds be re-designed and excavated to a depth of 18" and replaced with a horticulture mix (60% loam, 20% compost and 20% peat moss). I have found the material at a supplier in stoughton and will provide it at a cost of $35 per yard. I measuered all of the proposed beds and came out with approx. 1,000 sq feet. Using my material calculator I came up with an amount of 56 yrds... I dont know why but it just sounds like a lot? I rounded it up to 60 yds which is three triaxle loads but it just sounds like a lot.. am I loosing my mind?

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

yep, i calc'd 55.55 yds of material. You could do that with a bobcat in a long day if site access is OK

3. j fisher

j fisher LawnSite Senior Member

I got 56 yrs too. It's still a lot!

4. DKinWA

DKinWA LawnSite Member

Man you guys are fast :laugh: I read the post (no replys yet) and hit reply and see the two of you have already replied. Btw, I came up with 55.555555 yards too.

5. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

55-6 yards of spoils, add a fluff factor and you gor 65-70 yards of truckable soils. Then figure that by digging down as she requests, if you are in clay, and you replace that clay with planters mix, you have just created yourself a bathtub. So, french drains wrapped in geotextile fabric with a discharge pipe of 4" SDR-35 directed to daylight is going to be essential if she does not want to drown out all the plants.

6. Emerscape

well like i said its been excavated already for the septic install so im not too worried about clay. I guess just looking at it and all the beds.. just doesnt look like 56 yards .. how long u think it will take to move with a bobcat.. i would bring in a backhoe but it would take forever to keep moving it to excavate

7. Emerscape

hey bs deality. I saw that u graduated from UConn. I had tons of friends that went there.. im originally from litchfield county... new preston to be exact... did u know matt santorelli ?

8. Emerscape

alright... im ********. I just went over my original measurments drawing.. i have an extra bed that we scrapped that was supposed to be 48 x 10... wow.. i think i need a beer

9. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

The ideal set up is a Mini X, like about a Cat 303,304, with a 24" bucket and a lazer reciever on the stick. Turn and dump the loads and have a skidsteer operator load the trucks. You will blow a Bobcat time out of the water.

10. Emerscape

yeah unfortunately i havent yet purchased either machines.. luckily the place equipment from is like 200 yds away from the house. i talked to the guy this morning.. figured id take the mini excavator in the morning and grab the bobcat mid day.. unfortunately i dont have anyone working with me that i trust with a skidsteer except for myself.. id love to train one of my guys because i trust him but i cant afford a mistake right now. full day rental is only $150. so i might just have both machines on site for the whole day or grab the bobcat in the afternoon and do like a day and a half. i hate the time crunch that rental machines put on everything