1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Client was three sheets to the wind… Kinda funny…

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Critical Care, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

A while back we got a call from a client that wanted us to mow and edge his place. No problem, but this guy obviously sounded like he was on his second six-pack. This property was in a golfing community and as no one was home we just began to do the work, and had nearly completed the job when a guy playing golf out on the fairway suddenly walked over to us.

“Did my wife put you up to this?” the guy asked.

I was thinking that this guy was a real winner. “Say what?” I asked. “Is this your place?”

He was looking as confused as I was, “Yes, this is my place. Did my wife call you?”

Either the guy had a total brain lapse, or else… “Umm, you’re mister so-and-so and you called us to have your yard mowed and edged…”

“Oh no, that’s not me. I bought this house from him!”

Oye vey, we were sent to the wrong address. But at any rate, the guy that owned the house went ahead and paid us for doing his place… I bet he probably told his wife, “Honey, did you notice that I took your advice and didn’t go golfing but took care of the lawn instead?”
  2. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

sounds like you dodged a bullet by him paying you. i always make sure the customer is home for the first mow.
  3. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Problem around here is that there are soooo many vacation or 2'nd homes. Sometimes I never see clients. Perhaps thats good in some cases, eh?
  4. lawncarepros2004

lawncarepros2004 LawnSite Member

hey neighbor, your crazy (also drunk) neighbor called me for estimate. I nearly **** when i saw your rig in the next door driveway. the first thing i asked Fortier was why didn't you call your neighbor. I don't want to work on my neighbors yard so i can see why you wouldn't want to work on his and I certainly don't want to offend you by bidding on his place. I'm content to let this one go or make my est 60% higher than normal? Any thoughts.
  5. scott in the soo

scott in the soo LawnSite Member

what did you just say....... you have got me totally confused.
  6. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

critical-did the owner of the house sign you on for mowing this season?
  7. lawncarepros2004

lawncarepros2004 LawnSite Member

scott i was just telling a side story to critical about his neighbor calling me for an estimate. sorry it wasn't more clear.