1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

#$% Client

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GrassQuester, Nov 8, 2006.

1. GrassQuester

GrassQuester LawnSite Member

Client has not paid me in 3 months lives across the country from me Im doing her house for sale owes me for 1 month first time in 4 years this has happened....debating on sprayin a roundup stain in her yard......

2nd client did a sod job for doesnt have the money to pay anyone ever taken the sod back??

Maybe im just venting nut im pissed............................
  2. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

Not sure of the legalities of removing the sod, but if they didn't pay for it, I would take it up and use it elsewhere. IF the house is for sale, notify the real estate agent that if the client does not pay you, you will file a lein and she cannot sell the house until you are paid. I did that and the owner cut me a check that day.
  3. Mike's All Season Service

Mike's All Season Service LawnSite Senior Member

Good idea! Except for if you are only mowing it you really cant put a lein on someones property. If you landscape it you are adding to the properties value ,then you can place a lein against the property. But if you only mow it the you are just retaining the properties value. But i would try that threat anyways until they call your bluff.
    Oh and go take back YOUR sod!! Its yours until he pays for it.
  4. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

:confused: Ok who is three months behind? The one across the country or the sod job?

On the house for like what was said put a lien on the house.

5. GrassQuester

one across the country is 3 months late
  6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

The part I can't understand is how you guys let payment for standard/regular services get 3 months behind in the first place? The way most of you bill, you've done like 4 months worth of work by then.

Spend your winter months off licking your wounds from this and while you are at it revamp your programs, streamline your billing, and adopt some policies that protect you from sticking your neck out like this.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You hit the nail on the head, I also firmly believe in establishing a solid relationship first, long before I let someone else get more than one or two cuts behind.

More so when they're not in town, but it really doesn't matter...
    Do NOT let them do this to you...
    The only way you can prevent it is by setting up a system on how you do things.

My rule is 10 percent: Any customer of mine is allowed to fall behind UP to 10 percent of the total money they've already cleared through my bank... Needless to say, it takes 10 visits before they can fall behind 1 cut, so to speak. Years before they can fall behind 3-400 dollars (and I mean yearsss)... While it gives seniority its privileges.
    That's just an example, most long-term Lco's have some kind of thing they fall back on, some rule or system that helps keep them from being took advantage of.
  8. GrassQuester

I said they were 3 months late paying I did not say I had been mowing for 3 months and not getting paid for any of it .......She canceled me at the end of July that was the last time I cut she owes me for only month July.The beginning of my post I stated how long ive been in biz You can be sure I will drop a client at the drop of a hat If they pay late I have to many great ones to screw with a few non payers:weightlifter:
  9. kmann

kmann LawnSite Senior Member

You really don't think she intends to pay, do you?
  10. huh

huh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lubbock

is there some reason you have already not "attached" to the house that is for sale

that would sure be an attention getter!