Clients not paying already!!! What to do??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by iamthelawnbarber, May 14, 2008.

1. iamthelawnbarber

iamthelawnbarber LawnSite Member
    from Pa

I have clients who are not paying already after their first month's cut!!! I would be patient but fuel is EXPENSIVE!! How do I get them to pay their bill? I sent the bill out at the beginning of the month with a due date of the 15th. I even put in the contract this season that there will be a $5 late fee if payment is not received on time. But some people still don't pay! Do I send out the bills again with the late payment fee tacked on or do I get on the phone with these people and talk to them personally? Any suggestions??
    :hammerhead:

2. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

Knock on the door if they're home - otherwise I would call them and make the situation clear.
    Remind them that if their paycheck came late, they would be a little upset.

3. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

its only the 14th.

4. jkitterman

jkitterman LawnSite Member

If I am figuring this right, you sent bill on the first of May and today is the 14th of May. Bills are due the 15th and you are complaining? Is this what you are saying?

5. Paulup

Paulup LawnSite Senior Member

Call them or talk to them in person. Some people forget, occasionally mail does not arrive in a timely manner, and they may have been paid late. There are many (somewhat) legitimate reasons for someone to be late on a bill. Keep your cool and try to work out the situation. If someone is that far behind on their lawn care bill its time to consider halting service until the situation is rectified, but like most financial situations you can still resolve it without much effort.

I wouldn't go as far as a certified letter or a lawyer until you talk to them face to face or on the phone.

6. StoneDevil

StoneDevil LawnSite Member

I wait till the mail arrives then u should worry

7. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

just know on the door and ask them to pay the next time you are in the neighborhood.

8. iamthelawnbarber

iamthelawnbarber LawnSite Member
    from Pa

This is a new client. I did Spring Cleanup for her in April and she has 3 cuts in since then (including the cut I did yesterday). I didn't see any money yet, and don't want to cut the property again next week if I don't see any money.
    I don't think I'm jumpin the gun here when I give clients 2 weeks to pay. Don't some people request money be paid at time of service?

9. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

Sometimes. . .mostly with those people who used to be notorious about not paying on time. lol

10. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with posters above...if due the 15th people will tend to get the $$ to you right on the 15th. Give it a day, or two as a grace period for mail. Then if more than 2 days late, call them direct and inquire. Advise you are cutting off service until they pay, if the conversation should come to that (I would hope not).

Also, for weeklies you deem AT RISK, after the first clean up/cut, bill them on the spot and get money before you do any more work. You will see if they are worthy payors from this action.