1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Clients Signature

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bruce, Apr 22, 2002.

1. Bruce

Bruce LawnSite Member
    from MN

Just wondering how many of you have your clients sign a contract.This is for residental accounts.All of my commercial accounts have a contract.But not the residental ones.I have had a few that wont pay.when i tried to collect from them they said u never did any service for me.(dirtbags) anyways with a signature it might hold up better in conciliation court.
  2. AndyL

AndyL LawnSite Member

I had a lawyer draw up a contract, and two sheets specifying exactly what would and wouldn't be included with their mowing service. (I have 2 service levels) They get to sign both, and get to keep a copy of both.

This is my first year out on my own, so I'm not sure how it will work, but as it stands right now, I dont offer credit, all my customers are asked to pay 2 weeks in advance, but I do give a 5% discount if they pay 4 weeks in advance. At the end of the 2/4 weeks, we've got some printed door knob signs that reminds them to make another payment, or we wont be back next week...

My one customer who does get credit (a mgmt company) chooses to pay in advance to get the discount anyway! Works for me!

3. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

The initial contract with new customers is signed and returned. The contracts are continously renewing, so the updates I send them do not require a signature. They simply state "Non cancellation is assumed to be acceptance of contract".

I like to have signed contracts with all my customers starting out - this way if collection action is ever an issue or NSF checks, etc., I've spelled out all the relevant information.
  4. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

"A contract is just an agreement between two or more people or entities. And anyone who wants to can get out of a contract can get out."

Contracts do not guarantee performance by any party, whether you're doing the work or doing the check writing. But a properly worded contract can help to avoid misunderstandings, and definitely explains an agreement in the case of the death of one party. Contracts = 2 thumbs up in my book.