1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Clients Who Can't Control Their Dog

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimLewis, Apr 20, 2008.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

First, I'll premise this by saying that I love dogs. I grew up with 4 dogs and have always had a nice family dog. I trained them in 4-H growing up and we have a great, well-trained family dog now who is very friendly and well behaved.

But that said, what is up with people who can't control their dogs? I will typically give anywhere from 3-6 estimates a day for various landscaping and/or lawn work. So I am always meeting people in their house. And although I prefer to go around the house in order to go see the back yard, most people usually insist that I "Oh, just come on in. Don't worry about your shoes." So not wanting to be rude, I'll usually accept the invite. And all we usually do is just walk right to the back door so they can show me what they want done in back.

But half of them have like this uncontrollable dogs that just friggin' jump all over you, lick you like crazy, get hair all over you, etc. And they always have their half-apologies too. Like, "Oh. I am sorry. Sofie, be nice to that man. Do you like dogs?" And I am thinking, "Uh, yah. I like dogs. But I am not here to play with your friggin' out-of-control mongrel! I am trying to do some WORK! Hello?!?"

Why can't people train their dogs to behave? It's not that hard. There are hundreds of books on it, websites, classes, training schools. Dogs are like one of the easiest animals to train. And if you don't want to train your ugly dog, is it that friggin' hard to just put him in the garage when you have guests come over?

Can I get an Amen, here?
  2. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll give you the amen, Jim. I never had a dog, but I do actually like them! I just had one last week, I met this guy at about 7 pm, I wanted the account, but really was looking to give the estimate and get home. His dog really was nice, but wild, and he was so preoccupied with the dog bothering us, that I think he heard only half of what I was saying. So that led to two more phone calls the next day to confirm what we would actually be doing for him. That was annoying, but part of the biz. I have had the same thing with people being preoccupied with their kids, that they are barely listening to me.
  3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Good subject Jim. I don't mind dogs, but I do not like poor/slob dog owners that treat their pets with more respect than they do you. I have neighbors that will totally ignore my wife and I and just watch their dog run around their yard. That is such a small, small way to be. But I see it all over, people want to avoid interaction with other people so they focus on their pets.....people really need to grow up.
  4. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Amen, what really gets me is when the dogs are aggressive and the owner just makes excuses and apologies instead of correcting the behavior.

The first time I got bit doing this, I was 18, I am at the back of my truck loading a spreader when a man across the street opens his door and lets out this yappy little cocker-spaniel, the thing pushes past him and makes a beeline for me, grabs a hold of my pant leg and is tearing away. The whole time the guy is like, "Oh don't worry, he's just playing, he won't hurt you....." I cocked back my other leg and kicked the dog as hard as I could, it went flying across the street and whimpering home, the guy was shocked and upset that I had kicked his dog.

I just finished my work and drove off. I was a shy 18 yr old, had that happened today, I would have called animal control and at the very least made him pay for my pants.
  5. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I love dogs but if a dog comes at me and starts biting my pant leg, it's getting a size 11 boot up it's a$$.
  6. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

I always have said "A dog is only as smart as their owner":clapping:
  7. DA Quality Lawn & YS

Well stated....not too many smart dogs out there then, huh:)
  8. BillyRgn

BillyRgn LawnSite Member

i had an account that the people would go to work and leave there three little dogs outside (electric fence), i would be on my lazer and the three of them would be attacking the black little anti scalping wheels, i was so affraid i would run one of them over, but they drove me so nuts by the end of the lawn i would try to run them over with the dam mower, they would never pose harm to me but the mower was a different thing, and the weed wacker they would go after when i was running it
  9. Paulup

Paulup LawnSite Senior Member

"Say hello to my little friend!"

10. DA Quality Lawn & YS

Wow, you mean business....